Melinda Isler, Archivist
1010 Campus Drive
Big Rapids MI 49307
General Education Convocation Council Records. 1955-1985. 1.0 cubic feet.
The General Education Convocation Council (GECC) utilized college funds to bring in speakers, acts and films to educate students. It was the predecessor of the Arts and Lectures committee. The collection consists of administrative records, schedules and programs from the various events.
Gerholz, Robert P.- Papers. 1916-1981. 0.4 cubic feet.
Robert P. Gerholz (1897 -1985) served on the Ferris State Board of Control from 1967-1982. Gerholz was a 1916 graduate of Ferris Institute who became a prominent business leader in the real estate, construction and commercial development professions. From 1965-1966, he was the president of the National Chamber of Commerce. Gerholz was active in the post-World War II home building explosion but was also a civic leader, active in his Presbyterian Church of Flint, Michigan. The papers contain correspondence and programs relating to his involvement in various home building associations, and his political activities. There are also several photographs of Gerholz at a variety of events.
Gifts and Grants Reports. 1959-1969. 0.3 cubic feet.
These are the official reports of all gifts received by the college. It details the donor, use and amount of gifts.
Graphic Arts Department Records. 1940-1983. 3.0 cubic feet.
The Graphic Arts Department was created in 1966 as part of the School of Technical and Applied Arts. The records consist of administrative files, advisory board files, curricula files and research materials. There are also records relating to outside conferences and symposia sponsored by the department. The records span the dates 1940-1983.
Historical/ Archival Advisory Committee Records. 1977-1995. 0.2 cubic feet.
This committee was a faculty based committee providing assistance, guidance and support to the Ferris State University Archives. It merged in 1995. The collection consists of annual reports, membership lists, minutes and other meeting records.
History Task Force Oral History Project Records. 2003-2004. 0.25 cubic feet.
This collection contains recordings and transcripts of Ferris emeriti and supporters interviewed as part of the History Task Force oral history project.
Homecoming Records. 1926- ongoing. 1.5 cubic feet.
Homecoming was organized in 1926 as an activity planned by a fraternity. Originally just a single day event revolving around the football game, Homecoming evolved into a week of activities supported by the university and focused on alumni. Records include programs, invitations and supporting documentation.
Library Advisory Committee Records. 1966-1986. 0.2 cubic feet.
The Library Advisory Committee was created by President Victor Spathelf to improve library-faculty relations. The records in the collection consist of reports, membership lists, minutes and other records relating to the meetings.
Linta, Edward L.- Papers. 1957-1983. 4.5 cubic feet.
Edward Linta began as an administrator for Ferris State University and served in a variety of capacities including: Vice-President for Student Affairs and Associate Vice-President for Personnel and Labor Relations. The collection primarily consists of records relating to his tenure in Student Affairs, including board activities, policies, projects and research files of similar projects from other universities.
Manor Family Collection. 1942-1985. 1.7 cubic feet.
The Manor Family Collection documents the dental technology programs at Ferris State College. Dr. Richard C. Manor was a professor of Dental Laboratory Technology of the College of Allied Health at FerrisState University from 1965 to 1979. The collection includes dental technology books, brochures, and manuals as well as miscellaneous dental instrumentation.
Masselink, Gerrit- Papers. 1907-1930. 4.5 cubic feet.
Gerrit Masselink (1872-1929) was the second president and early instructor at the Ferris Institute. He taught mathematics, science and Bible study from 1898-1929. Masselink was also one of the earliest supporters of athletics at Ferris. As a politician, Masselink organized the Mecosta Bull Moose party, and later ran unsuccessfully as a Progressive Republican and Democratic candidate for several offices. The papers consist of correspondence, writings and subject files primarily relating to his involvement with the school and the first major fundraising campaign.
Media Packet Records. 1992-2006. 9.0 cubic feet.
Media packets provide a compilation of print based publication articles which have mentioned Ferris State University. It includes newspaper articles, magazines and news releases. Packets became electronic-only after June 2003.
Money, Cloyd B.-Papers. 1940-1942. 0.2 cubic feet.
The Cloyd V. Money Papers contains newsclippings and items about the athletics programs at Ferris Institute between 1940-1942. Most of the materials relate to basketball and football.
Music Program Records. 1911-2012. 5.2 cubic feet.
The Music Program at Ferris State University began in 1884. Events include annual concerts, summer community band performances, and guest performances. Records include programs from these events and documents pertaining to the music program, such as: member information, student organizations, new announcements and publications, correspondence, program pamphlets, and student handbooks. The records span from 1941 to 2009.
New Student Record Collection. 1989-1993. 0.2 cubic feet.
This collection contains an incomplete run of a publication called New Student Record. It includes photos of freshman and sections with photos on campus activities.
Newton, Roy B.- Papers. 1875-1975. 12.0 cubic feet.
Roy Newton (1904-1974) held a variety of positions at Ferris Institute including faculty, dean, publications director and Alumni Director. His papers include his research and writings, as well as materials collected from his professional activities.
North Central Association Accreditation Records. 1939-2011. 10.5 cubic feet.
In 1939, President Merle Ward initiated the first review visit by members of the North Central Association. It was not until 1959 that Ferris received full accreditation. Accreditation occurred at periodic intervals subsequently as a result of the review process or a change in academic focus. Records include site visit records, self study reports, supporting documentation and committee preparation for accreditation. Records span the dates 1939-2001 with the bulk of the records from 1955-1987.