- Eating, drinking and smoking are not permitted in the reading room.
- Cell phone ringers should be turned off. Patrons should go outside the reading room
to conduct conversations.
- Patrons are not allowed into stack or work areas.
- Patrons must sign in daily on the reading room log.
- Patrons may be required to leave coats and bags outside the reading room
- Patron information is confidential except when requested by law enforcement officials.
- We will accommodate researchers with disabilities and special needs. Please contact
staff in advance.
- Patrons must fill out a researcher registration form annually. As part of the registration
process, he/she must show a Ferris or other photo identification card. Signing the
registration form signifies the researcher has read “Guidelines to the Ferris State
University Archives” and agrees to abide by it.
- Patrons should consult with archival staff in order to identify relevant collections
and materials to their topic of interest
- Patrons must fill out a call slip for each manuscript collection requested. A small
reference collection of bound material is available in the reading room for browsing.
- Patrons may request a maximum of one box or five folders at one time. Once material
has been returned, more may be requested.
- Patrons may have a maximum of 10 items out from the reference collection in the reading
room at one time.
- When materials needed are known in advance, requests may be made prior to the visit
so that materials are ready when a researcher arrives
- Requested materials will be held for researchers for a period of no more than one
- Use of unprocessed material may be permitted with the permission of the University
Archivist if other restrictions do not apply.
- Restricted materials may only be used with the permission of the University Archivist.
Use of Material
- Materials may only be used in the reading room. Materials do not circulate and therefore
must be used during University Archives designated hours of operations.
- Take notes using pencil or a laptop computer. Pens and markers are not permitted.
- Make no marks on materials. Do not write notes on top of materials or rest objects
on surface of items. Tracing is not permitted.
- Please preserve the existing arrangement of materials. Report any disarrangement to
staff- do not rearrange materials yourself.
- In using the reference collection, do not reshelve. Leave out on the table for staff.
- In handling special media, wear gloves if required by staff. Handle photographs by
- Use outcards when removing items from box. Ask staff for training on pulling materials
- Photocopying may only be done by UARMP staff. For extensive photocopying projects,
consult with staff on procedures.
- The Ferris State University Archives and Records Management Program is committed to
making materials available for use. However, some collections have donor, privacy
and other restrictions. Additionally, unprocessed materials are also unavailable to
patrons for security reasons.
- Any person found stealing, defacing, mutilating or in any way damaging materials will
be fully prosecuted to the extent of the law.
Refusal to abide by these guidelines will result in a loss of privileges.