1201 S. State Street,
Big Rapids, MI 49307
How to Use Your Benefits at Ferris State University
- First Time Benefits Users
- Transfer Students Using Benefits
- Continuing Ferris Students Using Benefits
Principles of Excellence
Ferris State University participates in the Principles of Excellence program and agrees to the following guidelines:
- Provide student with a personalized form covering the total cost of an education program.
- Provide educational plans for all military and Veteran education beneficiaries.
- End fraudulent and aggressive recruiting techniques and misrepresentations.
- Accommodate Service members and Reservists absent due to service requirements.
- Designate a point of contact to provide academic and financial advice.
- Ensure accreditation of all new programs prior to enrolling students.
- Align institutional refund policies with those under Title IV, which governs the administration of federal student financial aid programs.
For more information about the Principles of Excellence you can visit https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/principles_of_excellence.asp
Any letters or forms mailed to the Department of Veterans Affairs should include your name and social security number or VA claim number.
Early enrollment and payment of fees before the term begins will allow FSU to certify your enrollment early and keep your payments as consistent as possible.
VA will not pay educational benefits for courses which are not on your approved Education/Degree Plan; will not pay to re-take courses you have successfully completed (D or better).
A veteran enrolled in an academic program should receive his/her first benefit check approximately six to eight weeks after FSU submits the enrollment certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Monthly payment of benefits under the Montgomery G.I. Bill can only be released after your monthly verification of attendance has been received in the St. Louis Regional Office.
This may be done by Internet: (W.A.V.E.) or by telephone: 1-877-823-2378.
Fill out VA Class Registration Form; sign and date the form and turn it in at the following location
VA Certifying Official
Ferris State University
Admissions & Records
1201 S. State St., CSS 201E
Big Rapids, MI 49307
What Happens Next?
Once the VA Class Registration Form is submitted, the school’s certifying official will certify your enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please note that enrollment certification cannot be completed until 30 days prior to the start date for the semester.
- For Chapters 30, 1606, and 35, the benefit payment is paid directly to the student by the VA. The student should expect to receive the first benefit check approximately six to eight weeks after FSU submits the enrollment certification.
- For Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), tuition and fees payments are sent directly to the school from the VA. Upon notification from the FSU Veterans Office that the enrollment certification has been processed, Student Financial Services will post a credit to the student’s account which reflects the amount FSU anticipates to receive on behalf of the student for tuition and fees. Please allow up to two weeks after the enrollment certification has been processed for the credit to be applied to the account. The student will also receive direct payments from the VA for the basic housing allowance and book stipend. If you have any questions regarding Chapter 33 payments, please contact the Special Billing Coordinator at (231) 591-3969.
- For Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness & Employment), tuition, fees, and book payments are sent directly to the school from the VA. Upon receiving both the completed VA Class Registration Form AND the authorization from the student’s VA counselor, Student Financial Services will post a credit to the student’s account which reflects the amount FSU anticipates to receive on behalf of the student for tuition and fees. A voucher will also be created with the FSU Online Bookstore so that the student may charge his/her books. Please allow up to two weeks after the Class Registration Form and authorization have been received for the tuition and fees credit to be applied to the student account, and for the bookstore voucher to be available. If you have any questions regarding Chapter 31 payments, please contact the Special Billing Coordinator at (231) 591-3969.
You may contact the FSU Veterans Office at (231) 591-2022