1201 S. State Street,
Big Rapids, MI 49307
The FSA ID - a username and password - has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents.
Students and one custodial parent of each dependent student will need to create an FSA ID.
If you do not already have an FSA ID, you may create one at studentaid.gov by following the instructions below.
- You may use your FSA ID to sign your (or your student's) FAFSA right away.
- Each person who requests an FSA ID must have their own email address. Students and parents cannot use the same email address to create separate FSA ID's.
FSA ID Creation Process
- Go to studentaid.gov
- Select "Create Account" next to the Log In button.
- Create a username, enter your e-mail address, create a password and confirm the password. Select "continue".
- Enter your name, date of birth, Social Security number then select "continue".
- Enter your mailing address, select your language preference and phone number. You are encouraged to check yes to the phone account recovery option. If you do this, obtain the six digit code that is texted to your phone and enter that number in the confirmation box.
- Select four different challenge questions and answer them. You are encouraged to write down your answers for future reference.
- Review your information, and read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Confirm & Verify the information listed, editing if necessary. Read, the FSA's Terms and Conditions, check the "I agree" box, then select "continue".
- Verify your email address. Select "continue".
- Record and store or memorize your fsa user name and password. It may be several months before you use it again, but you will need it each year to refile your FAFSA as well as to access federal aid websites.
- Federal Student Aid will confirm your identity with the Social Security Administration. Within three days of submitting your FSA ID application, you should receive a confirmation email that your FSA ID has been authenticated.
For assistance you may select Help Center option then "Contact Us" from the StudentAid.gov website.