If you have been selected for the Verification Process, you must provide federal tax data as outlined below. Every student, and parent or spouse if applicable, needs to select one of the three options below and follow the instructions carefully.
1) Worked and filed a Federal Tax Return
A) You may use the IRS Data Retrieval tool to submit your tax data into your FAFSA; OR
B) You may submit a signed copy of your 2018 federal 1040; OR
C) You may provide IRS Tax Return Transcripts
2) Worked, Did Not File a Federal Income Tax Return
A) Please provide all of your 2018 W2 form(s) or 1099 form(s) OR
B) Parents and Independent students (and spouses) that worked but were not required to file a tax return must also provide a Verification of Non-Filing Letter. Dependent students are not required to provide a Verification of Non-Filing letter. Dependent students are those that have listed parental information on the FAFSA.
3) Did Not Work, Did Not File a Federal Income Tax Return
- On the verification form, in the appropriate column (student or parent), indicate "Did NOT work in 2018, was not required to and did not file a 2018 federal tax return".
- Verification of Non-Filing Letter for custodial parent(s) and independent students.
- Each parent, student or spouse that did not file a tax return MUST sign the verification form.
If you do not fall into one of the three categories above, please contact our office at 231 591-2100 for further instruction.