1. Turn on the Main Power switch located near the right side of the keyboard tray - this will provide power to the Computer/Monitor, DVD/VCR, Document Camera/visual presenter, and Smart Sympodium.
2. Turn on the Projector using the remote; direct remote towards the front or the back of the projector - the green power light should be illuminated.
Operating the Classroom Equipment
- Be sure that the Projector is set to RGB1. Press the RGB button once - you will see “RGB1” on the screen in the upper right corner.
- If the Projector remote is not working, try turning off the fluorescent overhead lights.
- Connect Laptop cables to Laptop port on top center of teaching station desktop
- Select the Laptop button from the panel on the right side of station.
- Select the Computer button from the panel on the right side of station - make sure the power light is on.
- Log into the computer using the building name and the room number for the Username and leave the Password blank.
- DVD/VCR is located behind the left door.
- Select the DVD/VCR button from the panel on the right side of station - make sure the power is on.
Depending on the classroom you are in, the Teaching Station may have a Document Camera or a Smart Sympodium.
- Lift the lever at the back of the Smart Sympodium to raise and lower the monitor - rotate the monitor back and forth to adjust viewing angle.
- Make sure the Smart Board tools icon is visible in the lower right corner of the screen. If the icon is not present, open the Smart Board software from the Start Menu.
- The Smart Sympodium also functions as the Computer Monitor - the standard computer mouse and Gyromouse may still be used to navigate the screen.
- Use the Stylus to annotate and draw on computer applications like Power Point presentations, Word documents, Excel charts and spreadsheets, Web pages, etc… Save by selecting Save As from the application drop down menu.
- Select the Doc Cam button from the panel on the right side of station - make sure the power is on.
- Lift the switch at the base of the left arm to raise the Document Camera lens - position the lens downward.
- Position the Right and Left side lights to maximize document viewing.
- Place any object on the surface of the Document Camera - paper, transparencies, etc…
- Use the Side and Bottom lights to control the lighting level of the Document Camera viewing surface.
The stylus is located on the right side of the Smart Sympodium - use the stylus along with the Pen Tool and Function buttons to annotate over any computer application.
The Pen Tool Buttons are located on the top center of the Smart Sympodium - use these buttons to make the stylus work as a Left-click mouse, colored Ink Pens, or an Eraser. Press the Left-Click button to return to mouse mode after you’ve used the electronic ink or the eraser.
- Left-Click or Mouse Mode: Press the Left-Click to use the Stylus as a mouse. Then press the tip of the stylus on the screen to activate an object. To double-click, press twice with the stylus. To drag an object, press it with the tip of the stylus and slide it to its new location.
- Black/Blue/Red Ink: Press the Black, Blue, or Red Ink Buttons to use the stylus as an ink pen.
- Eraser: Press the Eraser Button to erase lines drawn by the Ink Pen - the Eraser will not delete any shapes created using the Floating Tools.
The Function Buttons are located on the bottom center of the Smart Sympodium - use these buttons to make the stylus work as a Right-Click mouse or to launch specific Smart Board applications, such as the Notebook Software, the Floating Tools, the Screen Capture, or the Keyboard.
- Right-Click: Press the Right-Click button - the next time the stylus touches the screen, it will function as a right click. After the stylus touches the screen, it will again function as a left-click.
- Notebook Software: An organizational tool used to arrange, save, and share annotations.
- Floating Tools: Tool bar for annotating on-screen applications.
- Screen Capture Tools: Inserts the full screen or a portion of the screen into the Notebook.
- Keyboard: Allows for typed text to be inserted into the annotation - use the stylus to select keyboard keys. This function also converts handwriting to typed text.
Return the Gyromouse to the charging station after use to ensure use for next class.
On the Desktop
Remove the mouse from its charging stand and use it on the desktop like a regular mouse.
Off the Desktop
1. Remove the mouse from its charging stand and cradle it comfortably in your hand with your thumb over the left/right mouse button and your index finger on the Activate Button (this is the button on the bottom of the mouse).
2. Click any button to turn the mouse on.
3. You may press and hold the Activate Button with your index finger OR Double-click the Activate Button to keep the cursor continuously active. Click once to deactivate.
4. Move your wrist up, down, and/or sideways in a manner similar to using a flashlight to move the cursor while it is active.
5. Use your thumb to press the left/right mouse button.
6. Place the mouse on its charging station when finished.