The Federal Parent PLUS Loan is an alternative loan option for parents or stepparents of dependent students.
- 7.60% Fixed Interest Rate
- 4.276% Origination Fee
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Eligibility
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program
- A valid student FAFSA is required
- If the student is selected for verification, that process must be complete
- Student must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Easiest alternative loan to qualify for
- Parent may borrow up to the cost of attendance, less any other offered aid
- If the Parent PLUS Loan is denied, the student may be offered up to $5000 in additional unsubsidized loan
- Parent can select to have repayment deferred while student is in school
- Funds are sent directly to the school
To Apply for the Parent PLUS Loan
SUMMER PLUS LOAN APPLICATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON APRIL 1, 2019.
Please read these instructions before accessing the application.
- The parent borrower must LOG IN at www.studentloans.gov
- Enter the FSA ID of the parent that is applying for this loan.
- If parent does not already have an FSA ID, please click here and follow the instructions to obtain one.
2. Select "Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan"
3. Click "START" for the "Direct PLUS Loan Application for Parents" and complete the four application steps.
4. If loan is approved, the parent borrower must complete a Master Promissory Note while logged into www.studentloans.gov.