Melinda Isler, Archivist
1010 Campus Drive
Big Rapids MI 49307
1970 Presidential Search Committee. 1970. 0.4 cubic feet
In 1970, a campus-wide appointed committee headed by Dacho Dachoff oversaw the process to replace retiring president Victor Spathelf. These records document their processes and procedures.
Academic Program Review Council Records. 1987-2015. 22.5 cubic feet
This collection contains the records of the Academic Program Review Council. It consists primarily of the reports submitted to the group as part of the review process, but also contains some of the recommendations of the group to the Provost/ Vice President of Academic Affairs and the responses from the Provost regarding to the recommendations and other committee materials.
Alumni Bulletin. 1972-1994. 2.0 cubic feet.
The Alumni Bulletin is the official publication of the alumni association. This publication includes alumni success stories, columns by university administrators and information about current campus activities. It replaced the School Bulletin. The collection contains a complete run of the publication between 1972-1994.
Alumni Journal/ School Bulletin. 1925-1972. 1.7 cubic feet.
The Alumni Journal is a publication produced through the Office of Public Affairs for graduates and others interested in affairs of the institution. It is a monthly (later quarterly) publication produced in tabloid format. It was later replaced by the Alumni Bulletin. This collection contains all known issues of the publication between 1925-1972.
American Association of University Women (Big Rapids, Mich. Branch) Records. 1954. 0.5 cubic feet.
The records consist of individual surveys called the Community Survey of Women Power and a report summary of the survey conducted by the American Association of University Women in 1954.
Archives Task Force Records. 1989-1993. 0.14 cubic feet.
The Archives Task Force was formed to advise the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the President on the management of historical records between February-December 1993. The records in the collection consist of correspondence, membership lists, minute, reports and a cancelled search for a University archivist position.
Association of Ferris Women Records. 1955-1988. 1.5 cubic feet.
The Association of Ferris Women was an organization founded in 1958 to promote fellowship and to be of service to the Ferris Dames organization. Membership was open to all women faculty and wives of faculty. The organization provided a variety of activities and monthly programs that enabled the members fostered friendship with other Ferris women. Records include administrative records, committee records, financial records, membership lists and programs.
Athletic Advisory Committee Records. 1963-2006. 0.52 cubic feet; 1 electronic collection.
The Athletic Advisory Committee is a faculty based committee providing assistance, guidance and support to the athletic programs at Ferris State University. The records in the collection consist of agendas, correspondence, eligibility lists, minutes and other records relating to the meetings.
Autobiography of Woodbridge Ferris Records. 1927-1996. 1.5 cubic feet.
he Autobiography of W.N. Ferris Records contain the records relating to the publishing of the autobiography in 1995. It includes drafts of the manuscript text, photographs, the introduction and book cover. It also includes administrative records about the production and distribution of the publication. The records cover 1937-1948 and 1994-1996.
Aviation Program Records. 1939-1943. 1.5 cubic feet.
The aviation program was run in cooperation with the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) during World War II. The records of the program consist primarily of student records and of informational materials supplied by the CAA.
Big Rapids Industrial Newsletter. 1884-1885. 0.2 cubic feet.
The periodical called the Big Rapids Industrial School Newsletter was the earliest known publication of Ferris Institute. It provided course and class information and served as an advertisement. The last known issue was in 1885. It was replaced by the publication Useful Education.
Board of Trustees Records. 1894-ongoing. 28 cubic feet.
The records of the Board of Trustees includes minutes, board packets, correspondence, reports and legal records of the governing board of Ferris State University. The records document the creation of a state university, the growth of both the physical campus and the student body, the financial status and the curricula of a career based education.
Brophy, Byron J.- Papers. 1938-1952.
Bryon J. Brophy (1895-1962) served as Ferris' eighth president from 1946-1952. During his term, Ferris Institute became a Michigan state college and suffered a devastating fire which destroyed over two-thirds of the campus. His papers include materials relating to the fire, the building of veterans related program, the struggle for financial support and the administration of the school.
Brown, Ernest T.- Papers. 1932-1935. 1.5 cubic feet.
Ernest Edward Brown (1892-1958) was president of Ferris from November 1932- February 1936. During his tenure at Ferris, Brown struggled with Ferris Institute's heavy debt load. During one year, Brown served without pay. He also focused on student recruitment. The papers consist of student recruitment and advertising strategy correspondence.
Budget Records. 1955-1999. 3.0 cubic feet.
These records contain various budget requests and supporting documentation. Reports are separated into operating budgets, capital outlay budget and reallocation budgets.