Throughout your academic career, you should be reviewing your MyDegree to ensure you
are on track for your anticipated graduation date. Make sure the information is correct
- this includes all minors, certificates, double majors, and dual degrees are declared.
Transfer credits should also be reflected in the appropriate areas.
One Semester Before Graduation
- One semester before your anticipated graduation, complete the online graduation application
in MyFSU. Read the directions carefully. An incorrect application can cause delays.
- Meet with your advisor to be cleared to graduate. This includes completing a grad
audit. Confirm that your advisor has submitted the directed electives, substitution,
and waiver forms.
Honors and Distinction
Your cumulative GPA for the semester prior to graduation is used to determine if you
receive honors at the commencement ceremony. Your diploma and transcript will include
all semesters that you attended Ferris. Students graduating with honors may be eligible
to wear honor cords at the Commencement ceremony.
GPA Requirements for Honors
- Cum Laude: 3.50 - 3.74
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.75 - 3.89
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.90 - 4.00
Transfer students with 30 or more Ferris credit hours are eligible to graduate with
honors, but only Ferris credits are used to determine honors.
Preparing for the commencement ceremony
Students are permitted to participate in Commencement if they are close to completing
their graduation requirements. For example, if a student needs to take a course or
two during the summer semester to finish their program, they may participate in May
Commencement or wait until December Commencement.
Participating in Commencement is not a certification of graduation, but rather a ceremony
that celebrates a student's academic achievements. Therefore, participation in any
Commencement ceremony does not affirm that a student has satisfactorily completed
all degree requirements.
- Check the commencement website for information regarding the CET ceremony and time.
- Attend the Graduation Fair. This is a one-stop shop for all things commencement including purchasing your cap
- Tickets for attending the graduation ceremony are available through E-tickets.
Receiving diplomas and transcripts
Students must satisfy all of their degree requirements before they receive their diploma.
- Diplomas will be mailed 6 to 8 weeks after grades have been posted. You will receive
a confirmation e-mail sent to your Ferris e-mail address the day the diploma is mailed.
If you do not receive a diploma the 9th week, please call the CET Dean's Office at
- The University will not release official academic transcripts if there is a balance
due on your account. Contact the Business Office with questions at (231) 591-3972.
- Your unofficial transcripts in MyFSU will indicate if your degree has been awarded.
If you have not met all the requirements, you will receive a notice in your Ferris
- Official transcripts can be ordered online.
- Replacement diplomas and diploma covers can be ordered online.