Melinda Isler, Archivist
1010 Campus Drive
Big Rapids MI 49307
Fact Book Records. 1991-2016. 1.6 cubic feet.
The Ferris Fact Book provides basic statistical information about the university. It is produced annually. This collection contains a complete run of the publication.
Charles Fairman Papers. 1928-1962. 0.4 cubic feet.
Charles E. Fairman (1902 -1978) was a 1922 graduate of the Ferris pharmacy program. As a Big Rapids resident who owned a chain of pharmacy stores, Fairman was active in the governance of Ferris Institute. He served on the Board of Incorporators from 1931-1950 and on the Board of Trustees from 1950-1967. Records in the collection include financial statements, correspondence with Ferris Institute administration and materials relating to World War II community service activities.
Ferris, Woodbridge N.- Collection. 1873-1925. 0.5 cubic feet.
This collection contains material discovered in a house in Chevy Chase Maryland about Woodbridge N. Ferris. It includes correspondence, writings and phrenology reports.
Ferris, Woodbridge N.- Papers. 1880-1969. 10.5 cubic feet.
Woodbridge N. Ferris (1853-1928) was the founder of Ferris Industrial School in 1884 which later became Ferris State University. He also served as Governor of Michigan (1913-1916) and a United States Senator (1922-1928). A strong proponent of vocational education, Ferris believed in modifying education to meet the current needs of the people. The papers consist of correspondence, writings and subject files primarily relating to his involvement with his school.
Ferris Dames Records. 1956-1974. 0.5 cubic feet.
This collection contains administrative records including correspondence, membership lists, minutes and program related materials. The Ferris chapter of the National Association of University Dames was founded in 1956. By 1965, it had doubled its membership to over 80 students. It served both as an educational and social outlet for the wives of Ferris students.
Ferris Expositor . 1956-1973. 3.0 cubic feet.
The Ferris Expositor served as an internal publication that communicated information about campus staff and events. It was edited by the public affairs office to provide concise summaries for a rapidly expanding campus. The publication ran between 1956-1973 and was replaced by the FYI.
Ferris Loan Fund Association Records. 1893-1899. 0.12 cubic feet.
The Ferris Loan Fund Association was formed in 1893 by Ferris faculty to provide a loan source for current students. The collection consists of a single minute book detailing disbursements of funds and membership.
Ferris Heritage Lecture Collection. 1979-1994. 1.5 cubic feet.
Between 1979-1994, the University Archives and the Archival Advisory Committee sponsored the Heritage Lecture series in which talks about the history of Ferris State University and Mecosta County were given. The collection includes audio recordings and transcripts.
Ferris Institute Journal. 1899-1910. 0.2 cubic feet.
This publication replaced the quarterly Useful Education. It detailed programs at Ferris Institute including schedules, activities and admissions requirements. It also had articles on educational issues.
Ferris Institute Calender. 1912-1916. 0.2 cubic feet.
Ferris Institute Calender is a school sponsored publication. It contained pages and photographs for various months. The collection contains a complete run of the publication.
Ferris Institute News. 1900-1904; 1920-1931. 1.2 cubic feet.
The publication Ferris Institute News served as a combination of alumni journal, school newspaper and staff newsletter. Special editions were created about significant events such as Homecoming or the deaths of Woodbridge N. Ferris or Gerrit Masselink. The News provided information about the current events to the Ferris Institute students and Big Rapids residents. The last known issue was March 1931.
Ferris Institute Newsletter. 1951-1955. 0.8 cubic feet.
Ferris Institute Newsletter is a publication produced through the Office of Public Affairs for the President of Ferris Institute. This brief weekly publication provides summaries of such activities as publications, recruitment, staff information and enrollment. This collection contains a complete run of the publication between 1951-1955.
Ferris Magazine Records. 2009-ongoing. 0.3 cubic feet.
Ferris Magazine is the alumni newsmagazine published seasonally by the alumni office. This publication provides alumni stories, including class notes, columns by current Ferris administrators and stories about campus. The collection contains a complete run of the publication from 2009- .
Ferris Torch. 1931-ongoing. 37 cubic feet.
The Ferris Torch is a weekly student newspaper publication. Content includes national, local, campus news and sports; reviews; Associated Press news and features and student columns. This collection. This collection contains all known issues of the publication between 1932-2005.
Ferris State Theatre Records. 1932-1994. 0.4 cubic feet.
Theatre activities were a part of university programming from the early part of the century. Plays were directed by a faculty member and casts included staff, students and community members. Records include programs, historical information and limited publicity.
FI Advertiser . 1915-1917. 0.2 cubic feet.
In 1912, Wesley W. Knisley, an instructor in the commercial department, began a monthly alumni journal. The journal was advertised by the advertising class, and sold by the salesmanship class. It included articles about current events at Ferris Institute and alumni news. The last known issue was January 1917.
Financial Reports; Audit Reports. 1945-1997. 3.0 cubic feet.
The Financial Reports/Audit Reports contain the annual certified financial statements required by law. Reports are filed chronologically by year. State audits are also included.
FYI . 1973-2007. 7.5 cubic feet.
FYI is a multi-page publication produced through the news/communications office. This weekly staff publication provides information on staff activities, activities of the institution and its various programs. This collection contains a complete run of the publication between 1973-2005.