Melinda Isler, Archivist
1010 Campus Drive
Big Rapids MI 49307
Collection Title: Ferris Loan Fund Association Records
Creator: Ferris Institute. Ferris Loan Fund Association.
Abstract: The Ferris Loan Fund Association was formed in 1893 by Ferris faculty to provide a loan source for current students. The collection consists of a single minute book detailing disbursements of funds and membership.
Quantity: 0.12 cubic feet; 1 box
Identification: UA 8.4.10
Repository: Ferris State University Archives and Records Management Program
On July 18, 1893 the meeting of the Ferris Loan Fund Association was called to order. Members present at the meeting were Woodbridge N. Ferris, Helen G. Ferris, Charles A. Wessel, F.D. Smith, W.R. Smith and W.D. Henderson- all faculty members of the Ferris Institute. At this point in time, officers had been elected, and money had been gathered from the faculty to be put into the Mecosta County Savings back. It was unclear exactly when the organization had been formed. Early fundraising drives called for the payment of printing bills for fliers to raise more funds for the cause from local businessman.
The president of the executive board of the association was President Woodbridge N. Ferris. The organization had a rotating secretary position held at times by W.D. Henderson, R.L. Nye and W.R. Smith (all individuals who had also served as the business manager for the school.) Membership on the executive board appeared to be restricted to Ferris faculty. They met at first on a monthly basis, but in later years 4-5 times per year.
The primary function of this committee was the disbursement of loans to students who had a respectable individual willing to sign as a security for them. In later years, there are more records of students being denied loans because of inadequate security.
1893-1899 Woodbridge N. Ferris.
The Ferris Loan Fund Association was a group of Ferris faculty who put their own money and that of the community into a general fund to make loans of up to $50 per students. Students provided a security in the form of a loan guarantee. Loans were made until the funding ran out. It appears in the later 1890s, this organization became a subset of the larger Ferris Cooperative Association, which was a combined student-alumni group.
This single bound volume may or not contain the entire minute set from the Ferris Loan Fund Association. Apart from an early drive, the treasurer's report does not include information about the source of funding. Names of individual students helped by the funds and the amounts and securities are listed. Officers and the attendees at board members are given. This book only has 28 pages filled with the secretaries' reports.
The papers are included in a single series.
The Ferris Loan Fund Association Records are open for research to all users in accordance with University Archives and Records Management access policies. It is available in the reading room of the Ferris State University Archives.
Requests for permission to publish material should be directed to the University Archivist. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Copyright interests for this collection have been transferred to Ferris State University. For more information, contact the University Archivist.
Below are a list of names, organizations and subjects relating to the collection. Names have been taken from Library of Congress Authority headings whenever possible.
Footnotes and bibliographic references should use the following format:
[Item], Folder, Box (or url). Ferris Loan Fund Association Records. Ferris State University Archives. Big Rapids, Michigan.
These records were transferred to the University Archives prior to October 2002.
The Ferris Loan Fund Association Records were processed to the folder level by Melinda McMartin Isler in November 2008. A finding aid was prepared in a word processing format and converted to EAD 2.0. A collection level MARC-21 record was prepared and placed in the library online public access catalog. Description based on Describing Archives: A Content Standard (Chicago: Society of American Archivists, 2004).
This collection consists of 28 pages in a bound volume measuring 10 inches x 7.5 inches. Materials have been handwritten. There is no specialized software required for viewing.
This series consists of approximately 0.12 cubic feet of records. They include the minutes of a Ferris faculty committee charged with disbursing loans to students. The minutes include attendance, money disbursed and some fundraising techniques.
The minutes are arranged chronologically.
|1||1||Minute book. 1893-1899.|