Skip to Top NavigationSkip to ContentSkip to Footer
Ferris State University BulldogFerris State University Logo

Police Record Requests

The Michigan Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) provides all persons (except persons incarcerated in correctional facilities) with access to public records of public bodies, including police records.

Police records may include: calls for service, incident reports, arrest records or logs of arrest, audio/visual recordings, and external documents included inside of an incident report.

FOIA requests to receive police reports or other documentation can be submitted by following the FSU FOIA Procedures and Guidelines. Requests seeking information on police-related incidents outside the Big Rapids main campus are asked to check with the local law enforcement agencies for the respective campus area(s).

FOIA requests for non-law enforcement records are asked to contact the University's General Counsel's office at 231-591-3894 or [email protected].

Example: KCAD, GR-Pharmacy and UICA campuses reside in Grand Rapids Police Department jurisdiction; Port Huron extended campus falls under Port Huron Police Department jurisdiction.

Incident Reports and Background Checks

To obtain a copy of a police report, a letter of confirmation for lost, damaged, or stolen property, please complete one of the following:

To obtain a copy of a Michigan Criminal History, visit the State of Michigan Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT).

Traffic Crash Reports

For documentation of car crashes and accidents on roadways or for damage over $1,000, FSU DPS completes a State of Michigan UD-10 Traffic Crash Report form and submits the data to the State of Michigan. Insurance companies typically request a copy of the crash report if you have been involved in a traffic crash.

There are three ways to obtain a copy of your traffic crash report.

  1. To obtain a copy of a private property accident or public roadway accidents directly from the FSU DPS, complete the Request for Disclosure of Police Records form and return it to FSU DPS.
  2. Reports can also be requested online through the LexisNexis dedicated portal for a fee.
  3. Reports can also be requested from the Michigan Traffic Crash Purchasing System (TCPS) for a fee.

Last Updated: July 16, 2019