Skip to Top NavigationSkip to ContentSkip to Footer
Ferris State University BulldogFerris State University Logo

Unsubsidized Loan Only

You indicated on your 2024-25 FAFSA that your parent(s) are unwilling to provide their information on your FAFSA. This webpage contains detailed information to help guide you through next steps. 

Parent Unwilling to Provide Data on FAFSA

If you do not include parent information on your FAFSA, your financial aid will be limited. You will not qualify for Pell Grant, work-study, or interest-deferred loans. As well, you will qualify for fewer Ferris scholarships and grants. If you understand the limitations of parent refusal and wish to proceed with being offered unsubsidized loan only, you and your parent will need to complete and submit a Declaration of Non-Support Form


Parent Reconsideration

If you and your parent(s) have reconsidered and would like to add their information to your FAFSA, please log back into your FAFSA. You will indicate that you wish to make corrections and change the answer to the question about your parent's willingness to provide their information. Your parent will need an FSA ID to sign your FAFSA. 


Student Unusual Circumstances

If you have circumstances that prevent you from contacting your parents or if it poses a risk to you to contact your parents, please complete and submit a Dependency Override Form. You will need to include the supporting documents listed on the form.


Student Other Circumstances

If at any time on or after July 1, 2023, you were determined to be unaccompanied and either (1) homeless or (2) self-supporting and at risk of being homeless, please provide documentation of your homeless status by any of the following:

  • The Director or designee of an emergency or transitional shelter, street outreach program, homeless youth drop-in center, or other program serving those experiencing homelessness;
  • Your high school or school district homeless liaison or designee; 
  • The Director or designee of a project supported by a federal TRIO or GEAR UP program grant; 

If you have questions about your situation, please contact the Financial Aid office for further assistance.