1124 S. State Street
Big Rapids, Michigan
U.S. Air Force Eglin Air Force Base
Site 1:96 AMDS/SGPFE
307 Boatner Rd. Ste 114
Eglin AFB, FL 32542
Student Evaluation of Site
Type of Practice:
Number of MCO Students Per Rotation:
To provide full-scope optometric services to all military beneficiaries; to ensure vision readiness for Eglin's active duty with emphasis on the air crew contact lens program.
To provide optimum training in vision care to externs from Michigan, and Southern Colleges of Optometry.
- Contact Dr. Darrell Grise's office 8 weeks prior to the beginning of your rotation
to verify dates, times, directions, parking, and any other instructions. Regarding
the inprocessing paperwork, please contact Ms. Cecelia Sutton at 850-883-9092 or email
Report to the address listed above the first day of the rotation for orientation to policies, clinical protocol, administrative procedures, etc.
- Housing arrangements: Students have traditionally rotated through a furnished apartment. Please work out lease details with the student and apartment manager before your rotation to ensure a smooth transition.
- A background check is required before your rotation starts. (Please check with Cecelia Sutton to see if you still need this)
- VACCINATIONS: Bring a copy of your immunization record to include the completion of HEP B series and tetanus. The TB test is a two step process and the 1st TB Test must be done within 60 days of arriving at your rotation, the 2nd TB test must be done within 30 days of arrival. They will not administer the test on base, so don't forget these steps.
- A copy of your CURRENT CPR CARD is also required.
- The scanned EGLIN AFB contractor access badge AFFIDAVIT must be completed and sent to TSgt Richard Baugh, via email: [email protected] or fax (850) 883-1267 FOUR weeks before the first day of your rotation. Be sure to include specific dates of the rotation. Eglin Badge Pass Request Form
- *Arriving without the information and preparations above will delay the start of your rotation. Please call (850) 883-8080 if you have any questions.*
- Canadian students must complete an additional form called the Commercial Visit Request and forward to Dr. Darrell Grise. ( Eglin Commercial Visit Request)
- Park your automobile on the street past the hospital. Enter through the back door with the overhang. Upon entering the first floor, go to the first hallway on the right to the Education and Training Office, which is the third one on the right.
- Dr. Darrell Grise, O.D.
E-Mail: [email protected]
Clinical Teaching Faculty:
- Katelin Staley, O.D.
- Darrell Grise, O.D.
- 5 Optometric Technicians/Assistants
M-F, 7:00am-4:00 pm
Hours of direct patient care for extern per day:
6 (30 per week)
Number of patients seen by extern per day:
- To be clinically proficient in all diagnostic techniques.
- To improve the efficiency of an exam and to know when and what to refer.
- To learn patient management skills.
- To formulate differential diagnoses for objective findings and devise treatment plans that correspond to the diagnoses and chief complaint.
- To observe ophthalmic surgeries
- Not provided by the facility
- Approximate cost: $400-800/mo. (Short term leases scarce; no monthly leases available)
- Falcon House Apts: 1-888-686-1419
- Shalimar Garden Apts: (850) 651-8267
- Villager Apts: (850) 243-0648
- Westwood Apts: (850) 581-2324
- Cayo Grande Apts: (850) 897-5667
- Fort Walton Beach: pop. 50,000 - one mall
- Pensacola nearby: pop. 120,000 - two malls
- Destin: beach resort
- Beaches, water sports, great weather
- Pensacola offers civic/cultural events
- Computerized Visual Field Analyzer
- Fundus Non-Contact Lenses
- Direct ophthalmoscope/streak retinoscope in every office
- Fundus Camera
- BIO with condensing lens
- Gonioscopy Lenses
- Trial lens sets in every office
- The clinic is also affiliated with Southern College of Optometry
- Medical reference library available for student use at the hospital
- Internet access available at the hospital
- A formal presentation to the staff on a topic of choice is required
- Informal case presentations or journal reviews with the preceptors is encouraged
- Opportunities available to observe eye surgeries done by staff ophthalmologists
- CD of hospital photos available for review.
- If you have any questions, please contact (231) 591-3706 Dr. Daniel Taylor, Director of Externships - [email protected] .
1124 S. State Street