Your Next Step Forward
Students may declare social work as their major if they fulfill the requirements listed below. No student will be allowed to enroll in required social work courses above SCWK 170 unless admitted to the program.
New Student Admission Requirements
- 2.50 High School GPA (on a 4.00 scale)
- Minimum Composite ACT Score of 17/SAT 900
Transfer Student Admission Requirements
- Combined college or university GPA of 2.00 (on a 4.00 scale) from all institutions attended. GPA based on completion of 12 transferable semester credit hours or more.
- The degree completion program at a statewide and online location requires 48 transferable semester credits to be admitted.
Admission to the BSW Degree Candidacy
Permission to enroll in upper level social work courses requires admission to candidacy for the bachelor of social work degree with the exception of SCWK 310 and 370.
Admission to the degree candidacy requires the following:
- Completion of at least 56 semester credit hours of college credit
- Minimum overall 2.3 GPA Minimum 2.5 GPA in social work courses Grade of "C" or better in all required social work courses
- Successful completion of a written self-analysis, including professional strengths and weaknesses, sensitivity to social diversity, career motivation, etc. This is a SCWK 220 assignment.
- Successful completion of a fully documented library research paper elaborating on the relationship between a particular theory of human behavior or social process and social work practice. This is a SCWK 240 assignment.
- Included in the completed work must be the following courses or their transfer equivalent
or transfer substitute:
- ENGL 150 and 250
- BIOL 101, 109 or 111 and another course that meets scientific requirements
- COMM 105, 121 or 221
- PLSC 121 or 122
- PSYC 150 and 226 or EDUC 251
- SOCY 121 and 225 or 230
- SCWK 110, 130, 170, 191, 210, 220 and 240