An Interdisciplinary Degree to Enhance Your Future Career
Spanish for the professions gives you the opportunity to enhance your primary major by:
- Training to communicate and connect with colleagues, clients, customers, and patients in a Spanish-speaking environment.
- Acquiring language skills and deep cultural knowledge necessary in your specific professional field.
- Increasing your competitiveness after graduation when seeking employment in your professional field.
What Will I Study?
You will be exposed to linguistic and cultural traditions, values, and practices relevant to professional contexts while also gaining a foundation in communication skills and critical thinking. At the intermediate level, students choose the appropriate electives according to their interests (primary major). Students in the program are encouraged to take advantage of these opportunities:
- Internships connected to their field
- Study abroad programs
- Travel/study courses
- Summer immersions programs
Why Choose This Major?
This major is ideally suited to the needs of changing demographics in Michigan and the United States. Our major is designed for students who anticipate careers in which they will need to interact with Hispanic/Latino communities in the United States or abroad. It combines well with other majors and/or degrees offered at Ferris: medical professions, education and social service professions, and business professions. Classes are offered face to face, fully online, and in mixed-delivery format.
Vice President, Voices for Health
Kent School Services Network
Recruiter, Bethany Christian Services
What Are Graduates of This Major Doing Now?
Graduates work in a variety of careers in which a high level of Spanish language and cultural competency associated with Spanish speakers of the 21st century are required.
For more career options with a Spanish degree, go to any career search engine (such as Monster.com), type Spanish in the search box and see what comes up! For instance: translation and interpretation in the medical, social and international business fields.
- Ferris State University Spanish Program
- Ferris State University Study Abroad
- Ferris State University Spanish Club
Lucero Flores-Paez, PhD
Phone: (231) 591-3627
Email: [email protected]