Ferris State University subscribes to the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI Program) for researchers. CITI is dedicated to serving the training needs of colleges and
universities, healthcare institutions, technology and research organizations, and
governmental agencies, as they foster integrity and professional advancement of their
Training courses are available in the following areas at no cost to faculty or student
researchers; certification expiration varies by course:
- Human Subjects Research
Required for those working with humans prior to submission of an IRB application.
Researchers should choose one learner group based on their role and the type of human
subjects activities they will conduct. Details on courses are located on the IRB Webpage.
- Good Clinical Practice Course
Optional Course for those working in clinical settings.
- Laboratory Animal Welfare
Required for those working with lab animals.
- Responsible Conduct of Research
Required training for faculty and students involved in the Summer Fellowship Program and certain externally funded projects. Optional course for those involved in human
subjects or animal research.
- Conflicts of Interest
Required for certain externally funded projects or projects in which a potential conflict
Optional course for those involved with Biosafety/Biosecurity and submitting projects
to the IBC.
- Export Compliance
All PIs and other project personnel are individually responsible for compliance with
export controls and trade sanctions and completing appropriate CITI Training.
- COVID-19: Back to Campus (2020-2023), Remote Contract Tracing, Participating in Vaccine
Research, Insights for Higher Ed Leaders, What you Need to Know about COVID-19 Vaccine,
and Mental Health for Higher Ed and Healthcare
Optional Course for those interested; access to course will terminate March 1, 2023.
- Remote Contract Tracing Course
Optional Course for those interested.
- Laboratory Chemical Safety
For all personnel working with hazardous chemicals. Course discusses the requirements for working safely with hazardous chemicals and provides
practical guidance on how to minimize occupational exposure that results in adverse
physical or health effects.
- Radiation Safety
For workers who use or are near sources of ionizing radiation. Course provides overview
of radioactive materials regulations, information on radioactive waste management,
and the appropriate responses to various radiation emergencies.
Registering with Ferris State University:
- Visit the CITI login page
- Next to "New Users", click the "Register Here" link
- Select "Ferris State University" from the drop-down menu of "Participating Institutions"
- Create a username and password
*recommended that your username match your Ferris username so that your training can
be automatically synced into Cayuse IRB
- Fill out the additional personal information and select "No" under the CME/CEU credits
*note, if you wish to have CME/CEU credits you will be responsible for charges
- Select whether or not to take the survey
- Complete the additional information requested by Ferris State University
- Select the courses you wish to complete
- Unless applicable, select "No" when asked to affiliate with another institution
For more detailed instructions, see our CITI Screenshot Instructions
Questions regarding CITI Training can be addressed to [email protected]