- STEP 1: Notice of Intent to Apply
The Principal Investigator/Project Director (PI/PD) should notify the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs (ORSP) with intent to apply for an external funding opportunity at least 30 days prior to the application due date.
- The following 12 items should be included in the Intent to Apply:
- Name of Principal Investigator:
- Estimated percent effort on the grant:
- Project Title:
- Other faculty/staff included on the proposal (and % effort):
- Total estimated budget for the grant (and attach excel budget):
- Indirect costs, if applicable (Note: FSU is 31% MTDC):
- Start and end date, if funded:
- College plan for covering teaching time, if awarded:
- Link to RFA/grant instructions:
- Sponsor application deadline:
- Brief description of project (abstract):
- Note: This Intent to Apply does not obligate the PI/PD to submit, but provides time to let supervisors and other personnel know what you are planning. Contact Wendy Stapp, Grants Administrator, x2547, with your intent to apply for an external funding opportunity.
- Once the Intent to Apply has been approved at the College and Provost level, a meeting
will be set up with ORSP to review the timeline for submitting the proposal.
- Step 2: Developing the Proposal and Budget
The PI is responsible for developing the proposal and budget in accordance with the RFP and FSU policies including indirect (F&A) costs (See: F&A policy). The final proposal and budget must be reviewed and approved via an internal routing process in Cayuse 424. All proposal documents should be uploaded into the Cayuse 424 system at least 7 days (5 business days) prior to the submission due date to guarantee submission. ORSP will request approvals from your Department Head/Dean/Director, College Dean, Grants Administrator, Director of ORSP. Any grant applications over $250,000, will require additional approval from the VP of Administration & Finance. After all approvals have been obtained, either the PI or ORSP will submit the grant to the funding agency on behalf of FSU (depends on the RFA instructions).
STEP 3: Approval to Accept a Grant (Notice of Award)
The PI or ORSP will receive notice of the grant award (PI: please send your Notice of Award letter to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs via email, [email protected].).
Approvals from each administrative level are required before the University can accept the grant or sign a contract. The VP of Administration & Finance serves as the contracting officer for the University and executes the agreement. Larger grants require additional approvals:
Grant awards over $250,000, must first be reviewed by General Counsel.
Grant awards over $500,000, or those requiring a match of over $150,000, require the approval of the Board of Trustees before they can be executed by the VP Administration & Finance.
Contact Wendy Stapp, x2547 to coordinate the award approval process.