"Where there is no vision, the people perish." -- Proverbs 29:18
Fellowship of Christian Optometrists (FCO) is a campus-recognized student organization and a local chapter of Fellowship of Christian Optometrists International that provides Pre-Optometry and Optometry Students with a vehicle for spiritual growth and fellowship. FCO encourages opportunities for students to successfully combine their professional skills with mission work consistent with their Christian faith.
What is FCO?
FCO was created to help optometrists and ophthalmic personnel serve in the type of mission work that combines eye care and the sharing of the Gospel. In this respect, FCO defines "mission work" as "bearing witness to the Lord Jesus Christ in one’s usual place of business or practice and extending anywhere in the world as God leads."
What do we do?
The following are some of the activities planned for the FCO student chapter at Michigan College of Optometry (MCO) this year:
- Men’s and Women’s Bible studies the first week of every month
- Group meal gathering/Bible study the third week of every month
- Social gatherings for a break from the books
- White Elephant Christmas Party: At the end of the fall semester we like to get together to have a Christmas party with a funny white elephant gift exchange and of course great food!
- End of the year BBQ: In the spring we take a break from studying for finals and go to a park to hangout, play volleyball, frisbee, etc. and grill out!
- Attend FCO International and student conferences when scheduled- a great opportunity to meet other optometrists and students who share a passion for serving God’s people
- Outreach to our community by going to nursing homes to clean/repair glasses, as well as other possible screenings and exams to meet the needs of those around us
- International Eye Care mission trips are planned annually in coordination with area churches.
What else is there?
Another thing FCO has to offer students is Eyespots, a computerized informational data base that helps to match the needs of graduating students and practicing OD’s with employment opportunities in the Christian optometric community. Also, FCO OD’s are always ready and willing to answer any questions students may have.
If you’re intrigued and want more information, please join us at our weekly meetings or contact one of the FCO officers.