Collection Title: Starr Educational Center Cornerstone Collection
Creator: Ferris State College
Abstract: This collection consists of the items placed into the Starr Educational Building cornerstone when the building was dedicated on January 7, 1962.
Quantity: 0.4 cubic feet; 1 Hollinger box
Identification: UA 17.7.100
Repository: Ferris State University Archives and Records Management Program
On January 7, 1962, dignitaries, staff and students gathered to dedicate the newly opened Starr Educational Center. The Center was the first instructional building built in several decades. The building was named after Judge Raymond Starr, who served on Ferris' governing board for fifteen years. He also served as a district judge court judge in western Michigan for several years. President Victor Spathelf coordinated the ceremony, with acceptance remarks by Judge Starr. The ceremony was followed by a concert and included tours of the new facility.
Following the ceremony, objects were laid into the cornerstone of the building, where they remained until a construction project in the 1990s led to a building renovation.
Scope and Content Note
The Starr Educational Center was the first all-purpose classroom building constructed after the fire of 1950. The building was named after Raymond Starr, who helped to guide the transition into becoming a state school. The collection contains items which were placed in the cornerstone when the building was dedicated in January 1962 including: minutes from the meeting where they named the building, news accounts of the building, a dedication program and current photographs of other buildings on campus. The campus photographs are grouped into a single folder.
The papers are contained in a single series.
Conditions of Access
The Starr Educational Center Cornerstone Collection is open for research to all users in accordance with University Archives and Records Management access policies. It is available in the reading room of the Ferris State University Archives.
Conditions of Use
Requests for permission to publish material should be directed to the University Archivist. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Copyright interests for this collection have been transferred to Ferris State University. For more information, contact the University Archivist.
Below are a list of names, organizations and subjects relating to the collection. Names have been taken from Library of Congress Authority headings whenever possible.
Buildings nearprint file. Starr Educational Center.
Raymond V. Starr nearprint biographies file.
Footnotes and bibliographic references should use the following format:
[Item], Folder, Box (or url). Starr Educational Center Cornerstone Collection. Ferris State University Archives. Big Rapids, Michigan.
Provenance (Acquisition Information)
These records were transferred to the University Archives prior to October 2002.
The Starr Educational Center Cornerstone Collection was extracted during the renovation of the Arts and Sciences Commons and transferred to the University Archives in July 1998 by Sharon Hamel.
This collection consists of paper based material, bound volumes and photographic prints. There is no specialized software required for viewing.
Series 1. Cornerstone. 1950-1962.
This collection contains the list of contents and the actual objects in the cornerstone such as press releases, newspapers, yearbooks and photographs.
The series is arranged alphabetically by record type/name.
|1||1||Cornerstone object list. 1962.|
|1||2||5 years of service as a state college. Publication. 1955.|
|1||3||Alumni Journal. Publication. December 1961.|
|1||4||Big Rapids Pioneer. 4 January 1962.|
|1||5||Board of Control minutes. 10 May 1960.|
|1||7||Campus photographs. 1961-1962.|
|1||8||Dedication brochure. January 1962.|
|1||9||Ferris Expositor. 5 January 1962.|
|1||10||Ferriscope. Yearbook. 1950-1951.|
|1||11||Ferriscope. Yearbook. 1960-1961.|
|1||12||News release. January 1962.|
|1||13||Starr, Raymond. Photographs. Undated.|