1030 Campus Drive
Big Rapids, MI 49307
Explore our Scholarships
Most students can qualify for a scholarship for being in any of these music groups:
- Athletic Pep Band (not a credit-earning class)
- Concert Choir (Music 251: Concert Choir)
- Jazz Band (Music 280: Jazz Ensemble)
- Symphony Band (Music 160: Wind Symphony)
- West Central Chamber Orchestra (Music 271: Chamber Orchestra)
- West Central Concert Band (Music 262: Concert Band)
In most circumstances, students must be members in good standing with their ensemble and its director, and students must participate in the ensemble in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Please talk to your director for specific requirements and expectations for your ensemble.
The scholarships are awarded as Activity-Based Scholarships by the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts, Sciences and Education. A maximum of $1,500 can be awarded in a single year, and specific rules govern the award. Please see below for the official details.
Guidelines for Awarding Activity-Based Scholarships
- The student must be enrolled at least half-time at Ferris State University, must have high school diploma or GED and must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program.
- The student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and make satisfactory academic progress as defined by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
- The student must participate in his/her chosen activity throughout the academic year.
- The minimum award is $25 per semester, and the maximum is $1,500 per academic year.
- A student may receive scholarships from more than one area, but the cumulative total cannot exceed $1,500 per academic year.
- Any scholarship awarded closer than two weeks to the end of any given semester will be held by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and awarded during the next semester. In the case of Spring semester, the scholarship will be returned to the awarding department.
Additional Criteria for Activity-Based Scholarships in Music
- The student must be enrolled in a music performing-arts organization and must maintain a 3.6 honor point average in that organization (applicable to all ensembles except Athletic Band).
- The student must audition annually for the renewal of his/her scholarship.
- The student must demonstrate "achievement of dedication to the ensemble," as outlined
- Regular attendance at weekly rehearsals and at dress rehearsals.
- Individual preparation of music: practice outside of rehearsal.
- Performances at all scheduled performances and other related events.
- Satisfactory level of performance.
- "Contributing member of the ensemble" status: required for consideration for award and continued membership.
- "Citizenship": as it applies to the ensemble in general.
- For Jazz Ensemble only: Ability as a jazz soloist (improvisation): awarded for special skills and the additional responsibility that role carries.