Simple Steps to Becoming a Certified Teacher
Step One: Choose a Major
Deciding what majors and/or minors you wish to be certified to teach. Your options are Elementary Education or Secondary Education.
Step Two: Build a Program Plan
Now that you have decided what you would like to teach, you need to find out what courses you should take and what other requirements will need to be completed to become certified. This information is called a Program Plan. To obtain a Program Plan, you must do the following:
- Write, fax, or e-mail a letter to the Certification Office at Ferris State University. Your letter should include the education program (elementary or secondary certification, teacher certification program or graduate program), which subjects you have chosen as your major(s)/minor(s), a return mailing address, e-mail address, and a daytime telephone number.
- Include with your letter a photocopy of all your college transcripts. Official transcripts will be required when you apply to the University.
- Include in your letter any specific questions you may have.
- If you hold a teaching certificate please indicate this information.
- Your transcripts and intentions will be evaluated. The entire process takes approximately 6-8 weeks.
- A Program Plan will be mailed to you detailing your program objectives.
See Program Plan Processing Fee for all non-FSU students.
If You Already Hold a Bachelor's Degree or Vocational Major
If you would like to determine your individual requirements to become a certified teacher without obtaining an additional bachelor's degree, you may contact the School of Education at [email protected] or (231) 591-5361.