Welcome to Nutrition Services!
Our Registered Dietitian Nutritionist is available to answer questions about making healthy food choices, how to look and feel your best, and managing personal health issues or improving athletic performance. The online menus for the Rock Café and Quad Café provide nutrition facts, ingredients, and allergens for every food item served.
Students who follow a medically-prescribed diet are encouraged to contact the Dietitian for guidance in finding your best food options. Documentation from your physician may be required to receive dietary accommodations.
Private consultations are free of charge to Ferris students and staff. The nutritionist accepts referrals from Birkham Health Center, the Personal Counseling Center, Disabilities Services, and athletic coaches. They work closely with the dining staff to ensure those with special dietary needs receive proper accommodations.
Other services offered are; tips on shopping and preparing meals at a low cost, presentations on nutrition topics in campus areas such as in residence halls, for registered student organizations, and other groups.
Ferris State University Dining Services staff strives to provide a wide variety of foods while accommodating to meet each student's needs. Nutri-Choice is a program designed to meet the following goals:
Educate students on principles involved in developing healthy eating habits.
Assist customers in maintaining a healthy weight.
Encourage physical activity and limit alcohol consumption.
- Promote consumption of food and beverage choices that meet the recommendations of the American Heart Association and American Institute for Cancer Research. These include choosing an overall balanced diet from all major food groups that is rich in fruits, vegetables and grains. Also, selecting foods that are low in fat and sodium, including fat-free and low-fat dairy products, legumes, poultry, lean meats and at least two servings of fish per week.
It is important to take the time and honestly evaluate our eating habits. Scientific research continually supports the fact that we can live a longer and healthier life by; exercising, maintaining a healthy weight, consuming a variety of foods and reducing our choices of fried and high-fat foods and decreasing our intake of excess salt and sugar.
For your educational purposes, we have provided helpful links to kick-start these healthy choices!
Want more information on how to live a healthier life?
Click the links below for more health information.
Dining Services aims to provide safe and nutritious meals to everyone who dines with us. We recommend students and guests with food allergies inform the Host or Hostess at either The Rock or The Quad Café and ask to speak with a manager about your dietary needs. The Manager will assist you with menu suggestions and answer questions specific to your allergy. Students with a meal plan should also make an appointment to meet with the Dietitian and learn how we can provide you with more allergen-friendly selections at each facility. You may be required to provide an Accommodations Form about your dietary needs. If a doctor prescribes medicine like an EpiPen, carry it with you at all times to use in the event of an allergic reaction.
Students and guests can view the menus, recipe ingredients and potential allergens online or by using the iPad’s at the entrance to The Rock Café and Quad Café. The Allergen Filter, which is located in the upper right corner of the menu page, allows you to identify which foods may contain your allergens.
The Rock Café and Quad Café have the ability to accommodate our students and customers with gluten intolerance.
- For details on which foods are naturally gluten free, refer to the list of options at each station. In the areas where customers serve themselves there is a risk of cross-contact with some foods that contain gluten.
- View ingredients and nutritional facts or use the allergen filter in online menus.
- We have gluten-free buns, pizza, pasta, tortillas and cereal available by request.
- If you are extremely sensitive to gluten, contact the Manager or Cook for assistance.
- We will cook and serve your food using separate utensils to ensure that your meal is safely prepared based on your needs.
- Ask our Registered Dietitian about food options by emailing [email protected] or schedule a free appointment.
- Be Aware – Manufacturers may change their product formulation without our knowledge and product availability may fluctuate. Customers on special diets or with food allergies should see the manager or contact the Registered Dietitian at 231-591-3747 for assistance.
For more information, contact the Registered Dietitian.
Eating Vegan and Vegetarian on Campus
The life of a college student is hard enough without having to worry about where to eat and wether the food is "eatable." As a vegan or vegetarian student it shouldn’t be more difficult to find food options that fit your lifestyle choices. Ferris State University Dining Services works to make these options readily available. With a wide variety of stations, both the Rock Café and Quad Café are great for students. We offer a variety of vegan and vegetarian soups, entreés, salads, sandwiches and much more for your dining pleasure. Students can also take advantage of the iPads located at the entrances to our dining facilities and further explore nutritional facts on offers menu Items. Ask your host/hostess upon entrance for more details
If you have questions or suggestions, please contact a manager at the Rock Café, Quad Café or our Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
Find out more about different types of plant-based diets, vital nutrients, and healthy vegetarian food choices in the Dining Centers.