Student Health Fee
Registered students pay a $53 fee with their tuition to keep convenient health services
There is sometimes confusion concerning the Health Fee at Ferris State University.
Here are some explanatory notes which may assist you:
- Every University health center has a fee as part of tuition.
- The Health Fee of $53.00 per semester (approved by the Board of Trustees) is charged
to students taking classes at the Big Rapids campus to assist in keeping a student
health center on campus.
- The Health Fee is a pro-rated $35 fee for the summer semester.
- The Health Fee is not insurance. It could be compared to any other fee on campus.
The Health Fee cannot be billed to your insurance.
- Spouses and children (age two or older) of Ferris students are also eligible to utilize
the Health Center by paying a reduced Health fee.
- A student never has to have cash on hand to see a provider, there are several payment
We appreciate the opportunity to provide medical care to students while they are here
at Ferris State University.
As a professional courtesy, the Birkam Health Center bills your insurance for medical
services rendered. Please have your insurance card at the time of service in order
for the Health Center to bill the insurance directly. The student is still responsible
for all co-pays and charges for services not covered by their insurance.
Please find out the following information about your health insurance before you arrive
on campus (This is also a great method for students to learn more about your own insurance):
- What is your insurance company and do you have your card or a copy?
- Are you covered by more than one policy?
- Which policy is primary and which is secondary?
- The subscriber name and birth date.
- What does your policy cover? (Example - office visits, lab, x-ray, pharmaceuticals,
- What is your deductible and co-pay?
We bill the following insurances, but verification of coverage does not guarantee
payment. It is highly recommended that you contact your insurance directly to find
out about your unique plan’s coverage, limitations, copay, deductible, coinsurance,
and if a global referral or prior authorization is required. Your insurance will
also be able to tell you if our providers are considered in or out of network with
- BCBS of Michigan
- Blue Care Network
- Blue Cross Complete
- Federal Blue Shield
- Health Scope Benefits
- Physician Health Plan
- Priority Health
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Community Plan
X-rays, laboratory tests, EKG's are performed by Corewell Health, and these services
are billed to your insurance company by the hospital. An insurance card, or a copy
of the card, will need to be presented at the time of your visit.
- Medical Records and Prescriptions - It is helpful if you have a record of your prescriptions
including doses and reason for medication. In addition, for students with chronic
or serious medical problems, a summary should be sent to the Birkam Health Center.
- Health Insurance - We have noted elsewhere the insurances which we accept for direct
payment, although you are encouraged to submit your Birkam Health Center receipt to
your insurance company for reimbursement if we do not bill your company directly.
- Please bring a copy of the front and back of your insurance card when you come in
- First Aid Supplies - While your hall director has a small first aid kit, you may want
to bring the following items for your own needs: band aids, acetaminophen, ibuprofen,
cold medications, digital thermometer, and chemical cold pack.
If you do not have insurance, there are several convenient payment options:
- You may apply the bill to your Consolidated Billing Tuition Account.
- You may also pay with a credit card or Health Savings Account (Flex Plan Credit Card,
Visa, Master Card, or Discover).
- You may also pay in cash or by personal check.
The University prohibits seeking compensation from the recipient of any medical procedure,
treatment, or care provided by a medical professional who has been convicted of a
felony arising out of the medical procedure, treatment or care.