Frequently Asked Student Employment Questions

  • Work Study is need-based funding from the federal government that helps employers on campus pay student employee wages. Students who would like to be considered for Work Study must first apply for financial aid even if they do not wish to be considered for any other type of aid. A student must indicate on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that they are interested in being considered for Work Study. Work Study is available on a first-come, first-served basis to needy students as determined by the FAFSA. To be considered for Work Study, students must file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 of each year.

    If the student is eligible for Work Study and completes the FAFSA process before funds are depleted, The Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid will notify the student that he or she has been offered Work Study on their Financial Aid Award Notice. The Award Notice reflects the amount the student may earn for the year. It is important to note that Work Study funds do not pay directly on a student's billing account like other forms of financial aid. Students who are employed under Work Study will receive a paycheck every two weeks for the number of hours they work during each payroll period.

    Students not receiving Work Study are referred to as "Non-Financial Aid" students because they do not have a work award. Students working without a Work Study award are funded entirely by each department's student employment budget.

  • In order for students to be eligible for employment on campus, they must be enrolled at FSU in at least a half-time status during the semester they are working. In order to work under a Work Study program, student must be enrolled in a Ferris degree-granting program. A half-time student for employment purposes, is defined as an undergrad student who is enrolled for six or more credits per semester or a graduate student enrolled for five or more credits. A student falling below half-time will be terminated at that point in the term. International students must be enrolled full-time (12 credits for undergrad, 9 credits for grad students) to be eligible for employment. The International Student Advisor has the authority to waive the requirement in certain situations. In the case of summer semester, students must either be enrolled half-time for summer or be registered as half-time or more for the fall semester. Students working during the break between Fall and Spring semesters must be enrolled at least half-time for Spring semester.

    High school graduates are eligible to work during the summer after their high school graduation and prior to starting their freshman year (fall semester) provided they are registered for fall semester at least half-time and are enrolled in a degree granting curriculum.

    The Student Employment Office has the authority to waive the half-time status rule in certain situations as outlined below:

    • Students in their final semester with less than half-time enrollment required for graduation. The student is required to provide documentation from their Academic advisor that they have less that half-time enrollment required for graduation.
    • Students who drop to less than half-time enrollment after the mid-point of the semester may, in some cases, continue to work for the remainder of the semester. This option must be requested by the student's supervisor and must be funded through the departmental budget. Work Study funds may not be used to fund students who have dropped to less than half-time enrollment during the academic year.
    • Other extenuating circumstances should be referred to the Manager of Student Employment and will be reviewed and determined on a case by case basis.
  • All campus employers are required to advertise their job openings by filling out a Job Vacancy Posting via the intranet. These jobs are then posted on the The Student Employment Office web page. When a position is filled, the supervisor is expected to notify The Student Employment Office so the job posting can be closed.

  • The Student Employment Office assists off-campus employers and Ferris students with their employment needs.

    Students interested in seeking employment off-campus can access opportunities through this web site.

  • International students are eligible to work on campus in any "Non-Work Study" position as long as they are in compliance with the federal statutes listed below: An F-1* student may accept on-campus employment provided:
    the alien does not displace a U.S. resident; or
    under the terms of a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship, such employment is considered part of the student's program. An alien who takes a full course of study at an academic institution or in a language-training program is classified under the symbol F-1. According to the immigration laws concerning on-campus employment, the prohibition against any employment for F-1 students during their first full year in the United States applies to off-campus employment as explained in 8 CFR 214.2 (f) (9) (ii). An F-1 student may engage in on-campus employment pursuant to 8 CFR 214.2 (f) (g) (i) during his or her first year in the United States. On-campus employment, according to the later section of the regulations, must be performed on the school's premises and must not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session during the academic year. During the summer, international students enrolled in at least a half-time status, may work 40 hours per week. International students not enrolled for classes during the Summer semester may work up to 40 hours per week provided they are registered full-time for Fall.

    An international student can work up to 40 hours per week between Fall and Spring semesters provided he/she is registered as full-time for the Spring semester. International students may also work up to 40 hours during the week of Spring break.

    An international student must have a Social Security number so they can be put into the payroll system. Before applying for a job on campus, international students must contact the International Student Advisor located in IRC-143B. This advisor will check their immigration papers to see if there is any restriction upon that student working in the United States. For information completing a W-4 for international students click here.

  • Students may sign on to the job posting site by accessing, then selecting "Employment" under the "Student Services" drop-down heading.

    The students must first complete their student resume, which provides potential employers with information regarding the students’ education and work history and any previous experience the student may have. The student may update their resume at any time.

    After their resume is complete they click on “View Jobs” and will be linked to only the jobs they are eligible to apply for. Students with Work Study awards will be eligible to view and apply for all jobs. Students without a Work Study award will only be able to view and apply for jobs indicated as Non-Work Study.

    Once the student has found a job they are interested in they may print off a Referral Form that contains all the information the employer will need to interview and hire the student. This information includes name, address, grade level, credits, work study status etc. The student then takes this form to the employer for an interview.

    If hired, the employer will be responsible for completing an I–9 for the student within 3 days of the student starting work. They will need to complete the I–9 and verify that they have seen original documents acceptable for the I–9. The employing area is also responsible to ensure that the student is hired under the exact name and SS# as indicated on the Soc. Sec. Card. (Do NOT take copies of documentation and forward to Student Employment Office. You simply verify by looking at the original documents.)

    If a student does not have his/her Soc. Sec. Card, he/she may apply for a replacement and bring in the receipt showing he/she has done so. Write the word “Receipt” and the document number in the document number space. When the student receives the original document it must be viewed by the employer who should then contact The Student Employment Office to cross out the word “Receipt.” The local Soc. Sec. Administration office is located on Water Tower Road and is open Mon-Fri, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 to 4:00 PM.

    The employer must also have the student complete a W–4 Form. See instructions.

    To process the student through Stu. Emp/Payroll the employer may go to MyFSU and sign on using their Novell User ID and Password. Then select “My Workplace" , “Student Intent Hiring Form” (left side of screen.) You then again use your Novell User ID and Password to enter the system.

    Once logged into the system follow these instructions:

    • Select “Enter Student Employee”
    • Click Enter
    • Key in student’s Student ID Number (CWID)
    • Click Enter
    • Choose correct Hiring Semester
    • Click Enter…the system will then search for the information of the student you requested. You will be prompted to verify the information gathered. You should continue through the process until all information has been completed. If the student does not have a current I-9 on record you will see a note that indicates that you should print off the “Intent To Hire Form.” This paper form should be forwarded to The Student Employment Office with the I–9 and W–4 forms. Finally, click “Submit” to complete the process.

    If there is current I-9 information on file you simply submit the information and there is no additional paperwork required.


    You may search for students you originated or supervise by clicking on the search field. You can check the status of your students by referring to this search page.

    Approval Process

    The Student Employment Office will receive the information electronically. If a new I-9/W4 is required we will not process the electronic form until we receive those documents. After the approval is completed by The Student Employment Office, the form will be electronically sent to Payroll to set up the assignment.


    If there is some information that is not completed properly the form will be denied by The Student Employment Office. If a form has been denied you will be sent an email indicating the student name and the reason for the denial. After the situation is resolved you must submit a new “Intent to Hire” form to hire the student.

  • Students not receiving an employment award will have no limit on their earnings. They may work as much as their schedule and employer permits, up to 26 hours a week. Students receiving a Work Study award can earn up to the amount of the award while employed through the Work Study program.

    After all Work Study monies have been earned, the student's wages will automatically come from the employer's budget, unless that employer notifies the student that there are no funds available to continue his/her employment. The student then has no limit to the amount that can be earned. The Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid will notify The Student Employment Office if the employment award amount changes for a student. The Student Employment Office will check to see if the student is employed on campus, and if so, notify the department of the change. However, the student receives the revised award notice before the Student Employment Office is notified and should consider that the revised award notice could affect their employment status.

    Students are prohibited from working on-campus during a scheduled class. If a student's class has been canceled, the student may work during that class time ONLY if the cancellation is noted on the student's time card on the Kronos (payroll) system.

    If questions arise regarding the earnings limit, contact The Student Employment Office at X 2012. Federal audits are conducted on the earning limits, and allowing a student to earn more than the amount awarded can seriously jeopardize the student and/or the entire University.

  • The Student Employment Office will monitor the student's earnings, but the employing department has the responsibility for keeping an accurate record of how much each student may earn, has earned to date and for terminating the student when the limit is reached, or allowing the student to continue working utilizing NFA funds.

    The Student Employment Office will forward to all employing departments a copy of the Departmental Earnings Roster to assist in keeping consistent records with the department on how much student employees have left to earn. When a discrepancy occurs between two records, the employing department should contact The Student Employment Office immediately.

    Departments will receive notification when students are within $200 of their work study limit.

    If a student earns any money over their work study limit the assignment will be changed to charge your departmental FOAP and their wages will be charged to your account from that point on.

  • Current University policy states that students employed on campus may work up to 24 hours per week during the academic year - 20 hours per week for international students. Students should normally be limited to a maximum of 8 hours in one day although certain exceptions are allowed. Students may not exceed this limitation by working at 2 or more jobs on campus. Overtime may not be scheduled for Students. Should a situation occur where a student exceeds the limit, the supervisor will be held responsible for that action. Students may hold more than 1 job, provided they do not exceed the 24 hour per week limit, or for international students the 20 hour per week limit, in keeping with federal guidelines.

    Students, including International students, may work up to 40 hours per week during summer and scheduled breaks between semesters as well as during Spring Break.

  • In accepting an on-campus position, students assume work responsibilities for which they will be held accountable. A review of general performance standards is listed below:

    Student Employees:

    • are expected to report to work on time and alert their supervisor that they are reporting for work.
    • should request permission in advance to be absent from work if special circumstances arise.
    • should notify their supervisor prior to the start of a shift on the first day of an absence, and each subsequent day thereafter. Excessive absences are to be avoided.
    • should keep an accurate record of their hours worked by punching in or out using the payroll system (Kronos). Notify your supervisor if you missed an in or out punch as soon as possible.
    • should immediately bring to their employers attention any problems or concerns they have pertaining to their job.
    • should perform duties assigned to them to the best of their ability.
    • should dress appropriately for the job as specified by their employer.

    Work rules minimize the chance that any employee, through misunderstanding, may become subject to disciplinary action. All student employees should understand that breaking certain rules, such as insubordination, may result in immediate discharge, and repeated violations of even a minor rule may result in discharge and will not be ignored by the University administration.

    This list is not intended to be inclusive, but rather serves as a general guide of unacceptable behavior.

    • Unexcused tardiness or absenteeism.
    • Failure to notify your supervisor within 15 minutes before the start of a shift that you will be late or absent.
    • Unsatisfactory work performance.
    • Loafing or other abuse of time during assigned work hours.
    • Interfering with an employee's performance of duties by talking or other distractions.
    • Leaving the regularly assigned work location without permission from a supervisor.
    • Performing personal work such as homework or e-mail on University time.
    • Failure to clock in/out as instructed.
    • Clocking in/out for another employee or permitting another employee to clock in/out your time.
    • Violation of a safety rule.
    • Destruction, defacement or mutilation of University property due to negligence or intentionally done.
    • Violation of security regulations.
    • The taking of rest periods other than in general area of the work being performed and at the time of the rest period.
    • Delay or failure to carry out assigned work or instructions.
    • Failure to report for work neat in appearance and suitably dressed for the job to be performed.
    • Refusal to perform work or obey an order issued by a supervisor.
    • Falsify any University record.
    • Leaving University premises during working hours without prior permission from supervisor.
    • Gambling or any kind on University premises.
    • Fighting or the use of abusive language on University premises.
    • Bringing, consuming or possessing alcoholic beverages or narcotics on the campus or reporting for duty under the influence of alcoholic beverages or narcotics.
    • Carrying firearms or other dangerous weapons on University premises.
    • Disclosure of confidential University information to unauthorized persons.
    • Smoking in unauthorized areas.
    • Threatening co-workers with physical harm or slandering another employee.
    • Sleeping during working hours.
    • Use of office equipment (telephones, copiers, computers, radios, etc.) is strictly prohibited unless authorized by your supervisor.
    • Student workers are not to be in any unauthorized part of a building at any time unless cleaning that area.
    • Lunch and break periods are to be taken in the student lounges only, not in offices.
    • Failure to clean and return all equipment to its respective storage place at the end of your shift.

    These work rules are available in The Student Employment Office for each student employee.

  • There have been several occasions where employers have requested that their student employees be paid with a lump sum/salary payment rather than an hourly wage. While there are many cases where this may seem to be the easiest way to compensate a student, there are actually very few cases where this is appropriate.

    Paying a student in a lump sum/salary for a given task or project does not exempt us from minimum wage requirements or overtime requirements and we are still required to track student's hours worked. Any request for one-time pays must be approved by the The Student Employment Office prior to making an offer to the student. The requests must be in writing and include the duties, the actual times to be worked by the student, and the reason you are requesting a lump sum/salary pay rather than an hourly rate. Again, there are very few situations where this is appropriate and we are required to scrutinize these closely.

  • The University's policy regarding Co-op/Internship students are:
    "Co-op students or interns may receive pay while working at Ferris in addition to receiving academic credit. Student employment hiring procedures and rates of pay will be followed when hiring a co-op or intern student for pay. Students not receiving pay will be processed through their respective academic dean's office."

    Guidelines for hiring co-op and internship students are as follows:

    • Individual departments or areas of the University will determine the need for student employment and submit a Job Vacancy Posting through the web to The Student Employment Office.
    • The academic department of the student employee's declared major will review the proposed duties and will determine the appropriateness of academic credit for the work experience.
    • The rate of pay will be the base pay rate or a pay rate established by The Student Employment Office. Students not receiving pay will be processed through their respective academic dean's office.
    • The academic departments will establish specific guidelines for determining whether academic credit is given to co–op or internship students.
    • Student employment hiring procedures will be followed when hiring a co-op/internship student for pay.
    • A student on co-op may be allowed to work up to 40 hours per week with the approval of The Student Employment Office.
  • Yes, if a student employee is injured on the job, the student and supervisor must complete an Employee Incident Form and submit the form to Human Resources, Prakken Bldg. Room 150, as soon as possible.

    NOTE: A copy of the Employee Incident Form will also need to be sent to the Health Center.

  • FSU students may apply for part or full time jobs for which they are qualified but there are several things to be aware of...

    • Student employees are typically exempt from FICA tax which is normally 7.65% of your wages.   If you are hired as a part or full time employee you will no longer be exempt and will be responsible for paying FICA.


    • FSU students who are employed as part or full time employees are not eligible to be hired as student employees at the same time and must forfeit any/all student employment positions prior to beginning their part/full time position.


    • Students cannot use their Federal or Ferris Work Study award for any part/full time position. Any earnings from this position would have to be included when completing a FAFSA for the following financial aid year.


    • Unlike student employment positions... supervisors of part or full time employees are not expected to work around your class schedule. By applying for a part or full time position it has been determined that your primary association with Ferris is that of an employee rather than a student. In the event a part or full time position is terminated, there is no guarantee of returning to a student position in the department.
  • Per the Michigan Employment Security Act, Section 421.43(l)(i), wages earned by students who are employed by the University in the Student Employee job classifications cannot be used to establish an unemployment claim in the State of Michigan.

  • While Michigan Wage and Hour Law does not require breaks/lunches, it is in the best interest of student employees to be given a break when appropriate. Breaks tend to increase productivity and are generally accepted as standard for most employers. Due to the extremely broad range of student jobs there does not tend to be a "one size fits all" system that would be effective in all areas. Departments should determine their own student break/lunch schedules that fit their departmental and student needs. These breaks typically should mirror what is allowed for full time employees in the same area. If you would like to discuss options please contact the Manager of Student Employment to work out details.