Ferris State University Student Recreation Center Pool Policy, Rules and Procedures
Pool To Open October 10
The Pool is set to open on October 10. We are currently working on a schedule that
meets the needs of our users as well as the availability of our lifeguards. If you
have any questions regarding the pool, you can email Justin Harden at [email protected]
Patrons of the Pool will include members of the Big Rapids Community, Specialized
groups at Ferris, Ferris State University Faculty, Staff and Students.
- Maximum patron use of the SRC pool area is 75
- Maximum patron use for the hot tub is 12
When the pool reopens, we will look to assess our capability to offer swim lessons
to the community. Please continue to check this page for further updates.
If a patron is under the age of 17 and wants to swim in the deep end, a swim test
must be passed.
Swim test includes:
- Swimming one width of the shallow end without touching the ground
- Supporting themselves on their back for 1 minute: if step one and two are acceptable
then step three may be tried
- Swimming 25 yards, from the deep end to the shallow end utilizing a front crawl (free
A patron should wear a life jacket if:
- The patron's height is below 4ft - 5ft (shallow end depth of water)
- Person is not a good swimmer even in shallow water.
- A life jacket should not be an alternative to parental supervision.
- A person using a life jacket can go in the deep end to swim.
- Do not allow a person with a life jacket on to jump in the water, this allows their
mouth to go under the water
Patron pool rules
- No one is allowed to swim without lifeguard supervision
- All patrons under the age of 15 must have a parent in the pool area
- Swimmers under the age of 17 must pass a swim test to utilize the deep end
- No running or horseplay
- Toys and swim aids may be used at the lifeguard's discretion
- Proper swimwear attire is required to use the pool. ONLY BOARD SHORTS AND SWIMSUITS
ALLOWED. BASKETBALL SHORTS ARE NOT ALLOWED.
- All swimmers must shower prior to using the hot tub or pool
- Footwear is not allowed on the deck
- No food allowed in the swim area
- Patrons with cuts, infections, or communicable diseases are not allowed in the pool
or hot tub
- Spitting, spouting water, blowing nose or discharging any body waste in the pool is
- No abusive or profane language
- Use of scuba equipment is not permitted during lap swim
- If a child is in diapers, swim diapers and pants must be used. Please note that these
are not leak proof and frequent breaks must be taken
- If swimming ability is questionable you may be asked to display swimming skills
- University Recreation will close the pool to all participants for 20-30 minutes after
thunder and lightning to secure the safety of our patrons. This will be done at the
discretion of pool/facility staff and is non-negotiable. Patrons will be expected
to vacate the pool deck.
- Head and cervical spine injuries could occur from improper diving
- Be sure diving area is clear prior to jumping
- Dive or jump straight off in at least nine feet of water
- No back dives, flips, or spins
Hot Tub Rules
- No one under the age of 5 is permitted in the hot tub in any manner
- Hot tub capacity is 12
- All patrons must shower prior to using the hot tub
- Pregnant women should consult their physician prior to entering the hot tub
- Individuals should observe a reasonable time limit of 15 minutes. Long exposures to
heat can result in complications such as dizziness, nausea, and fainting
- Individuals must keep their head above the water at all times
- Exercising or horseplay in the hot tub is not permitted
- The hot tub is not advised for those who have heart disease, diabetes, high or low
blood pressure, respiratory problems, or those using prescription medication
- No intoxicated individuals will be permitted in the pool area or hot tub