phone: (231) 591-2450
fax: (231) 591-2423
email us at: [email protected]
Welcome to all of the new international students joining Ferris State University for the Spring 2023 semester! We can't wait to meet you in person . We know that you are going to love our campus, meeting new friends, and attending fascinating classes. There are online tasks to complete before you travel and an on-campus orientation upon arrival. Please start reviewing and completing the checklist below. At any time, you can connect with us by email, WhatsApp, or Zoom (links at the bottom of the page) to ask questions and to stay connected to Ferris staff and other incoming students.
International Orientation Schedule
Schedule as of November 2022 and is subject to change. For any questions or concerns contact: [email protected] or WhatsApp at +12316791547
- Log into MyFSU
- Complete the Online New Student Orientation so an academic advisor can contact you.
- Meet with your academic advisor and register for classes.
- Complete ACCUPLACER testing if required (you will be notified by the admissions staff).
- Prepare to mail or bring official copies of final transcripts and exit exam scores.
- Coordinate with the admissions staff to finalize transfer credit processing if applicable.
- Explore required textbooks for classes you have scheduled
- Visit the Ferris Online Bookstore as one option for ordering textbooks.
Visa and Immigration Process
- Send required bank statements/financial documents to receive an I-20 immigration document, which is required to apply for an F-1 student visa.
- Receive your electronic I-20 to print. You can also arrange for optional shipment of your original admission letter and I-20 immigration document through UEMS/E-Ship Global.
- Pay the required SEVIS Fee.
- Complete the visa application process for an F-1 student visa.
- Schedule a visa appointment at your local embassy/consulate.
- Prepare a folder of necessary documents to take to the visa interview (passport, I-20, admission letter, bank statement/financial documents, scholarship letter if applicable).
- Notify the Office of International Education when you receive your visa.
Life on Campus
- Make on-campus housing arrangements through the MyHousing portal. If you are under the age of 19, you will be required to sign up for housing BEFORE you can register for classes.
- Select an on-campus meal plan through the MyHousing portal.
- Review the international student health insurance requirement and policy information.
- Estimate your cost of attendance (before scholarships are applied) using the cost estimate calculator.
- Explore payment options and deadlines and prepare payment methods.
- Explore the virtual campus tour and interactive campus map.
Arrival and Transportation
- Arrange your flight and travel plans according to the suggested dates of arrival in your admission letter and International Student Orientation Schedule, arriving in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA. Details below
- Submit your travel plans and schedule an airport pickup on the Incoming International Student Travel Confirmation Form.
International Student Orientation (on-campus)
We are planning to host on-campus orientation for new students arriving to the US for the Spring 2023 semester. On-campus Orientation begins January 5th (classes begin January 9th). New international students who need to be picked up from the Grand Rapids airport and transported to Ferris State University can schedule their pickup at the the Incoming International Student Travel Confirmation Form.
By the first week of class, all international students should have made a tuition/housing payment. Please refer to your payment plan and eBill on MyFSU. Ferris State University uses Flywire to easily make payments/bank transfers from your home country. Learn how to use Flywire here.
*As many students and parents have concerns surrounding COVID-19, please visit our Coronavirus Updates Hub for the most recent campus information and updates.* Please note that new students arriving to Ferris State University will be eligible to receive a vaccination if they wish.
Connections and questions during orientation
- You can always send an email to [email protected]
- Admitted students will receive a link to join a WhatsApp group closer to the semester starting date.
- All admitted students are required to make a Zoom meeting with Jacob van Laar and Valerie Campbell. If you haven't already, schedule that here.
- Need help navigating the MyFSU website to sign a housing contract, choose a meal plan, or a payment plan? Schedule an appointment here.