Tri-Alpha Honor Society
A Tri-Alpha chapter promotes academic excellence and provides opportunities for growth, leadership development, and community service for first-generation college students.
All first-generation college students, graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Ferris are eligible to join Tri-Alpha Honor Society. Induction into the Tri-Alpha Honor Society occur each spring. If you missed the application deadline for this spring, be sure to check back for next years induction ceremony.
Qualification Requirements to Join Tri-Alpha
- Student must be a First-Generation student (neither parent completed a bachelor's degree)
- Undergraduate students (Associates or Bachelors) must have earned at least 30 credits towards an associate's degree or baccalaureate degree AND achieved an overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.2 on a 4.0 scale.
- Graduate students must have completed the equivalent of at least one term of study (9 or more graduate credits) and have a GPA in their graduate program of at least 3.5.
- Faculty and staff may be inducted into Tri-Alpha as well. To qualify, they must have
met the definition of a first-generation student listed above at the time they completed
their bachelor's degree. Faculty and staff must be willing to serve as mentors for
- If you are interested in joining as a faculty/staff member, please reach out directly to Dave McCall
Click here to start the application process. Please note that once submitted, your application will be audited for accuracy to ensure you meet the requirements. Once approved, you will receive a follow up email with more information to complete the process.
- Student Membership - $17
- Faculty/Staff Membership - $27
- Optional Purchase of Tri-Alpha graduation cords
- Bachelor's Degree - $22
- Associates Degree - $12
Please note: You will receive more information on paying your membership fee and the opportunity to order Tri-Alpha graduation cords once your application has been approved. Once you place your order it will go into a queue and will be held until a bulk order can be placed through Tri-Alpha (approximately three weeks before the Tri-Alpha induction ceremony).
- Meet other first-gen students.
- Collectively promote academic excellence.
- Create a supportive environment for first-gen scholars.
- Recognition of personal accomplishment and an incentive for continued high scholarship.
- Receive a certificate and pin signifying membership. Membership is for life.
Applying for Tri-Alpha Membership
Move forward as an Alpha Alpha Alpha member at Ferris State University.
Applications for Spring 2024 inductions is now open. Use the link under the qualification requirements on this page to apply.
Interested in joining or learning more?
Contact our chapter advisor for more details.
We will also be honoring the winners of the Outstanding First-Generation Student Award and the Outstanding First-Generation Advocate Award.
The induction ceremony for our 2024 Inductees will take place on April 10 at 6 p.m. More information will be announced as we get closer.