Pictured from left to right, back row: Leah McHugh, Cameron Pennymon, Wayne Besano,
Kayla Garrett and Danielle Murphy. Front row, left to right: Julie Doyle, Yadan Du,
Holly Austin, Chelsea Broekema, Ashley Dardis, Courtney Meyer, Jennifer Kuhl, Jessica
Bryant and Tom Ruddy. Not pictured: Shannon Moore and Emily Smitter.
The Hospitality Management program at Ferris State University inducted 14 students from three different Ferris campuses (Big Rapids, Flint and Grand Rapids) into the Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society. Twelve of the 14 students attended a formal induction ceremony on Tuesday, Feb. 3 in Big Rapids. In attendance were: Hospitality Management Program Advisory Board members and faculty, Ferris administrators and guests.
The Eta Sigma Delta International Hospitality Management Society recognizes hospitality management students for academic excellence and aims to lead hospitality educators and professionals to the highest levels of proficiency and accomplishment in the industry. The honor society receives support and guidance from the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education. In order to be considered, students must have a 3.0 grade point average or higher and must be ranked in the top 20th percentile in their class standing.
During the ceremony, Tom Ruddy, area director with Applebee’s, gave a keynote address on the importance of real world experiences and having a strong education when entering the hospitality field. He discussed his own professional career path, commented on the passionate faculty at Ferris and encouraged students to utilize listening diversity to help them succeed in the future.
“We are so proud of these hospitality students and their achievements,” said Julie A. Doyle, Hospitality Management program coordinator and Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society advisor. “We have high expectations for them and look forward to the positive impact they will make in the future.”
The 2015 inductees are:
Big Rapids Campus
- Holly Austin, junior, Muskegon, Mich.
- Wayne Bersano, junior, Rhodes, Mich.
- Chelsea Broekema, senior, Ada, Mich.
- Ashley Dardis, junior, Otsego, Mich.
- Yadan Du, senior, Pingding Shan, China
- Kayla Garrett, junior, Pinconning, Mich.
- Leah McHugh, junior, Big Rapids, Mich.
- Courtney Meyer, senior, Burtchville, Mich.
- Danielle Murphy, junior, Lansing, Mich.
- Cameron Pennymon, junior, Macomb, Mich.
Grand Rapids Campus
- Jessica Bryant, senior, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Shannon Moore, senior, Belmont, Mich.
- Emily Smitter, junior, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Jennifer Kuhl, senior, Flint, Mich.