It promises to be a great day for the latest class of the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame
– Becky Iverson, Vartan Kupelian, Paul Rieke and Tom Werkmeister – when the 2014 induction
ceremony unfolds Sunday at Ferris State University.
Beyond the celebration of induction and a golf outing to help fund the Michigan Golf Foundation, details will be made available regarding fundraising and the facilities that will soon house the Ferris State’s celebrated Professional Golf Management Program as well as serve as the new home of the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame.
Tickets remain available. It’s $50 to attend the Ferris welcome ceremony and dinner, and $175 to be part of all of the day’s activities starting with golf at 11 a.m. A special Ferris welcoming ceremony is planned for 4 p.m. and the dinner and induction is at 5 p.m. in the Holiday Inn & Banquet Center. Please contact Loretta Larkin at [email protected] or (248) 719-0650.
Interested media should contact Greg Johnson at [email protected] or (616)-560-8995, Terry Moore at [email protected] or (616) 490-0433 or FSU’s Sandy Gholston at [email protected] at (231) 591-2021.
The inductees will be the star attractions:
- Gladstone native Iverson, 46, is an LPGA Tour winner and a former Michigan State University golfer who is now working as a director of golf in Wisconsin.
- Farmington Hills resident Kupelian, 67, is a multi-media journalist, former Detroit News reporter and past president of the Golf Writers Association of America.
- Okemos resident Rieke, 79, is a pioneer turfgrass educator for Michigan State University and is recognized as an authority on golf course turf worldwide.
- Kentwood resident and Warren native Werkmeister, 45, is an amateur golfer who on Monday, June 9, will start defense of his historical 2013 Michigan Open Championship win.
The induction of Iverson, Werkmeister, Rieke and Kupelian will bring Hall of Fame
membership to 105. In November it was announced that Ferris State University had been
selected as the new location of the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame and its collection
of plaques, portraits and memorabilia that commemorate its members.
Learn more about the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame at its website: www.michigan-golf-foundation.com and learn more about Ferris at www.ferris.edu.