1. How much is the increase?
- Big Rapids Undergraduate Main Campus and Off-Campus Students
- Michigan Residents: $5 per credit hour
- Non-Michigan Residents: $7 per credit hour
- International: $8 per credit hour
- Kendall College of Art & Design Undergraduate Students*
- *Tuition Differential pertains only to general education courses (not studio courses)
- Michigan/Non-Michigan Residents: $5 per credit hour
- International: $8 per credit hour
2. Who does this affect?
- Any undergraduate student who has earned 56 or more credit hours after fall semester grades post will be affected. Graduate, professional and doctoral students are not affected by this change.
3. How do I know how many credit hours I have earned?
- In MyFSU, click on Student tab, under Student Quick Links click on the MyRecords icon, under the My Records channel click on Unofficial Transcripts, hit Submit then scroll to the bottom of the transcript for the Overall Earned Hours column. Please note that this number will not be updated with hours earned until after the grades are posted each semester.
4. How much will this cost me for Spring semester?
- To calculate the impact that this tuition differential will have on your billing statement, multiply the number of credit hours you are registered for in the spring semester by the appropriate per credit hour charge as listed in question number one. Example: If you are a Michigan Resident, undergraduate student, enrolled for 12 credit hours for Spring, your increase will total $60.
- 5. How will my bill be affected by this increase?
- If you have earned less than 56 credit hours at the beginning of the Fall semester, but will have earned more than 56 credit hours once Fall grades post, then your first billing statement for Spring semester will not reflect the increase. Your bill will be recalculated to reflect the higher tuition amount after grades post.
6. How will this affect my financial aid refund?
- To calculate the impact that this tuition differential will have on your refund, multiply the number of credit hours you are registered for in the Spring semester by the appropriate per credit hour charge as listed in question number one. Example: If you are a Michigan Resident, undergraduate student, enrolled for 12 credit hours for Spring, your increase will total $60. In this example your refund would be $60 less than it was for Fall semester. Important Note: There are a lot of other variables that can affect your refund amount such as the number of credit hours you are registered for, health center or book charges, parking tickets, etc.
7. Will my payment plan be affected?
- Yes, if you have earned more than 56 credit hours, your payment plan will be adjusted to reflect the higher amount.
8. I am a transfer student; will I be affected by this change?
- Yes, if you have earned more than 56 credit hours, you will be charged the higher tuition rate. Note, your "earned hours" will include only hours that have been accepted by FSU. If your transfer credit hours are reviewed and exceed 56 earned hours after the semester begins, your tuition rate will be adjusted, which may result in you owing a balance to the University.
9. I am a TIP student, will TIP cover the increase?
- No. The state of Michigan does not pay for mid-year changes in tuition rates. If you have earned 56 credit hours or more, you will be responsible for paying the $5 tuition differential for spring semester.
10. I am a student athlete. Will my athletic scholarship cover the tuition differential?
- If you are a student-athlete with a tuition-specific contract, you are advised to contact Ferris State University Athletics or your coaching staff for the answer to this question.
11. Will my Founder's Scholarship cover the tuition differential?
- Yes. The Founder's Scholarship will be adjusted to cover the tuition differential.
12. Will my Bulldog Award amount change?
- Yes. Your Bulldog Award will be increased by $2 per credit hour of enrollment. Example: If you are enrolled for 15 credit hours, your Bulldog Award will be increased by $30 for spring semester.
13. Will my Native American Tuition Waiver cover the tuition differential?
- Yes. Your Native American Tuition Waiver will be adjusted to cover the tuition differential.
14. Will my Ferris Faculty/Staff Tuition Waiver cover the tuition differential?
- Yes. Your faculty/staff tuition waiver will be increased to cover the tuition differential.
15. Can I appeal these additional charges?
- No. This tuition differential is a Ferris State University Board of Trustees-approved mandate and is not subject to appeal.