Applying for Admission as an International Student Applying for Admission
as an International Student

Congratulations on choosing
Ferris State University!

Apply Now

The below list of items are the forms, documents, and information that we require before your application will be considered.

These documents must be posted by mail to our office (address to the right). Scanned documents sent by email are not accepted.

Need help completing the application process?
We are ready to answer your questions.
p) 1(231)591-3915

Mail all required documents to:
Ferris State University
Office of International Education
IRC 134
1301 S. State Street
Big Rapids, MI 49307

When will you hear about your acceptance?
We will notify you of your admission decision four to six weeks after we receive your application materials. Students who are accepted into the University will be sent a letter of acceptance and the I-20 or DS-2019 form as appropriate.

Step 1: International Application Form
Start the process with our online application. Step-by-step instructions are given throughout the process. 

Step 2: Additional Forms Based on Immigration Status
»   You are already studying in the United States and wish to transfer to Ferris State University. Complete and submit the transfer form. This form needs to be signed by your international advisor at your current institution.

»  You are currently studying outside the United States and wish to transfer to Ferris State University AND you want your credits to transfer. Along with your transcripts, you need to submit course descriptions both in original language and in English Send these as soon as possible as credit transfers are a lengthy process and will take time.

Step 3: Application Fee
To cover the cost of document preparation and distribution, a non-refundable $30 USD application processing fee is required. Submit by check or money transfer payable to Ferris State University.

Step 5: Academic Transcripts (your past courses with final grades) We will need the information about your past courses and final grades. Official transcripts, both in original language and in English are required as part of your application. Original documents become property of Ferris State University and cannot be returned. English translation of transcripts should be conducted by a certified translation service.

If a high school graduation exam is required in your country, we will also need a copy of that test result as well.

Step 5: Proof of Funds Available There are three choices for demonstrating proof of financial ability to study in the United States. All documents must be clear and in typed or printed format (not handwritten). Bank stationery must be identifiable and include the bank's address, phone number, and fax number.

  1. Financial statement signed by you or your sponsor. If you have more than one sponsor, an official, certified and notarized affidavit of support, including full name of all sponsors, must be sent;
  2. Original and official bank statement, updated within the past six months) from you or your sponsor representing funds for at least one academic year (US$26,000). The statement must identify the name of the account holder, their relationship to you, account number, and currency;
  3. An original letter from the bank stating the name of account holder, account number, date, currency used, and amount. It must be signed by a member of bank staff whose name, position, and contact information are provided in the letter.

Step 6: A copy of your passport's ID page Copy of identification page(s) of your passport as well as those of any dependants you will be bringing into the U.S.

Step 7: Proof of English proficiency If you have taken TOEFL, IELTS or other approved tests. Proof of English proficiency is needed to enroll in a standard academic program, but is not required if you plan to study in the Intensive English Program.

Proof of English proficiency may not be required if applying from a country in which English is the native language or if the student has completed non-ESL English academic courses at an approved college or university with C grades or above. See our full TOEFL Policy for details.