If you have been selected for the Verification Process, you must provide tax data directly from the Internal Revenue Service, depending on whether or not you worked and/or filed taxes. Every student and or parent needs to select one of the three options below and follow the instructions carefully.
1) Worked and filed a Federal Tax Return:
Documentation Requirements: You may complete IRS Data Retrieval OR you may submit Tax Return Transcripts . 1040 tax returns are not acceptable for this process.
How to Request Tax Return Transcripts:
- You may request a "Tax Return Transcript" at http://www.irs.gov
- The IRS produces more than one type of transcript. Only Tax Return Transcripts are acceptable to complete the verification process.
- You will have the option to request IRS documentation Online or by Mail.
- To obtain your IRS documentation online you will be required to provide identifying information including credit card information; or mortgage or auto loan account numbers. There is no charge for this service, but the IRS uses this type of information from your credit history to confirm your identity. The benefit of the online request is that if confirmed, you may print an immediate copy of your documentation .
- If you request your documentation by mail, it is typically 5-10 days for receipt.
2) Worked, but not Required to File a Federal Income Tax Return
Documentation Requirements: You must submit Copies of your W2 form(s) and a Verification of Non-Filing Letter from the IRS. This is confirmation from the IRS that you did not file a federal tax return.
How to Request A Verification of Non-Filing Letter:
- Please click here for the request form.
- Complete sections 1-5 of the form and then check box #7.
- In box #9, enter the dates that correspond with the tax year that is being verified. Example: for the 2015 tax year, enter 01/01/2015 - 12/31/2015
- Sign, date and enter your phone number at the bottom of the form.
- Fax the form to the Kansas City processing center: 855-821-0094.
3) Did Not Work, Did Not File a Federal Income Tax Return
Documentation Requirements: On the Verification Form for Dependent or Independent Students, indicate in the Tax Documentation Section "Did NOT work in 2015, was not required to and did not file a 2015 federal tax return". When the Financial Aid Office processes your verification form, we will satisfy the tax requirement.
If you do not fall into one of the three categories above, please contact out office at 231 591-2110 for further instruction.