June 6, 2018
Ferris State University is closely monitoring an off-campus Big Rapids Department of Public Safety investigation of an armed robbery that occurred in the northeast area of the city of Big Rapids. There is no known link to the University. The incident occurred in the early-morning hours of Tuesday, June 5. City and campus police officials do not believe there is an imminent threat to the campus or community. The Big Rapids Department of Public Safety is continuing its investigation.
The Ferris State University Department of Public Safety would also like to share important information regarding its timely warnings and emergency notifications:
- Timely Warning or an Emergency Notification is issued when a confirmed, substantial
and existing threat to the campus community is present.
- Notices are typically sent out as text and email to members of the campus community.
Communications may also be delivered via other existing technologies, such as desktop
computers alerts, voice over classroom alerts, mobile devices, electronic signage
and the emergency outdoor broadcast system.
- This process is used to alert the campus to pending dangers, and to remain in compliance
with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, as amended in 1998.
- The spirit of the University philosophy and the Clery Act is to provide the campus community with timely information that will aid in the prevention
of similar crimes, and/or enable people to make decisions to protect themselves.
- A Timely Warning is required when a ‘Clery Act Crime’ is reported to the police, which
occurred on campus property owned or controlled by the University, and when the crime
is considered by the University to represent a serious or continuing threat to the
- The Emergency Notification is required upon confirmation of a significant emergency
or dangerous situation occurring on the campus that involves an immediate threat to
the health or safety of the campus community.
- In the spirit of the Clery Act to provide information to the campus community of pending dangers, Ferris State University will send Emergency Notifications for those emergency and dangerous situations that occur in off campus locations that are in the vicinity of the campus, if there is a substantial and existing threat to the campus community.”