A variety of Ferris State University student groups and offices are collaborating on the 2016 Women’s History Month schedule of events across campus. This marks the 30th year for the annual, national celebration focused on the contributions that women make to history, culture and society.
Office of Multicultural Student Services Assistant Director Michael Wade said that students, and other members of the Ferris and Big Rapids communities are welcome to attend these events free of charge. They hope that students will take part in the 2016 Women in History student tribute, “Unsung Stories,” set for 7 p.m., Tuesday, March 22 in room 217 of the University Center.
“We feel every event on the schedule is a feature presentation,” Wade said. “We offer a variety of opportunities, so people can work Women’s History Month into their schedule.”
Students looking to participate in the tribute event should visit the OMSS office, or email the OMSS office by Friday, March 18.
Women’s History Month events begin Monday, March 21 with the W.I.L.L. Conference, which will begin at 6 p.m. in the University Center. Wade said that his office is pleased by the diverse group of sponsors for the event.
“The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has joined with OMSS to present Ashley Hixon, founder and director of The Collegiate Voice, a nonprofit based in Miami, Fla.,” Wade said. “Our keynote speaker, that evening, is Denise Beachy, president of Dow Corning’s Hemlock Semiconductor group.”
Here is the full Women’s History Month schedule:
- The 2016 Will Conference
- Monday, March 21, 6 p.m., University Center
- Unsung Stories, The 2016 Women In History Student Tribute
- Tuesday, March 22, 7 p.m. University Center, Room 217
- Ferris Museum of Sexist Objects, Guest Speaker-Ferris faculty member Tracy Busch
- Monday, March 28, 6 p.m., FLITE, Room 108
- A League of Their Own: Becoming a Successful Woman for the Workplace (panel discussion)
- 7 p.m., Tuesday, March 29, University Center, Room 202B
- “It’s A Girl,” Feature Film Screening and Discussion with professors Teresa Bailey,
Sharon Colley and Tracy Busch
- Thursday, March 31, 11 a.m., IRC, Room 104, 6 p.m., IRC, Room 120
- “Woman to Woman,” 2016 Women’s Expo
- Thursday, March 31, 6 p.m., IRC Connector-College of Business, Room 111 for concluding remarks by author, writer and radio host Harriet Cammock
Event sponsors for Women’s History Month include the Diversity and Inclusion Office, Ferris Student Government, AdGroup, Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils, Sigma Lambda Gamma, You Beautiful Black Woman and Alpha Kappa Alpha.
PHOTO CAPTION: Ashley Hixon, the founder and director of The Collegiate Voice will be a guest speaker at the W.I.L.L. Conference Monday evening, March 21 as part of Ferris State University's Women's History Month celebration.