VIDEO: Disability Awareness Month 2014
Ferris State University’s Educational Counseling and Disabilities Services office
has planned multiple events as part of Disability Awareness Month.
Disability Awareness Month is nationally recognized in October to focus public attention
on issues related to individuals with learning disabilities.
Educational Counseling and Disabilities Services informs the public of individuals
with disabilities and sheds light on the different varieties of disabilities present
in today’s society through a month of educational events on campus.
“Educational Counseling and Disabilities Services works with students with disabilities
and determines what kind of accommodations are reasonable and necessary,” said Julie
Rudolph, Educational Counseling and Disabilities Services counselor. “We work to ensure
those accommodations are in place.”
Welding and Engineering Technology alumnus Preston Graham explained that he didn’t
know if he would ever be able to make it into a university with some of disabilities
such as his own dyslexia and his reading comprehension skills.
“Ferris has opened the door for that,” Graham said. “I now have the skill set and
knowledge to follow my dream.”
Here is a list of events for Disability Awareness Month:
Thursday, Oct. 2
- Inclusive Classroom Practices Panel Discussion:
- Faculty members and other experts in the area of inclusive and universal design will
answer questions with regard to classroom practices and teaching methods that are
conducive to learning for all students.
Thursday, Oct. 9
- Diversity of Abilities Panel Discussion:
- Community members, faculty, staff and students with disabilities will share their
stories. This event is also part of Beyond Diversity, sponsored multiple university
offices, including the Office of International Educational and the Office of Diversity
Friday, Oct. 10
- Wheelchair Basketball Game:
- The Grand Rapids Pacers Wheelchair Basketball team will visit Ferris and play against
members of the Ferris men’s and women’s basketball teams and other students who wish
to participate. A fundraiser raffle will be held with money going toward the “Invest
in Knowledge Scholarship” for students with disabilities. Prizes for the raffle include
President’s Box tickets to a home Ferris football game and Ferris apparel.
Wednesday, Oct. 15
- Disability Awareness Month speaker, Bill Deering:
- Bill Deering speaks candidly about his self-hatred of stuttering and the growth process
of accepting himself. He has overcome many challenges in his life, including learning
disabilities, to elevate his grade point average in college from 0.7 to 3.7 by his
last semester of college.
Thursday, Oct. 30
- Working with Students with Disabilities Presentation for Faculty:
- Educational Counseling and Disabilities Services will have an open discussion with
interested faculty on disability law, student and faculty rights and ECDS procedures.