Ferris State University’s Digital Animation and Game Design program earned a ranking of 25thon The Princeton Review’s 2014 list of the best undergraduate schools to study game design.
Compiled by The Princeton Review, one of America’s best-known education and admission services companies, the 2014 list names the top 25 undergraduate schools for game design. Ferris ranked among that top 25. The Princeton Review chose the schools based on a survey it conducted in Fall 2013 of 150 programs at institutions offering video game design coursework and/or degrees in the U.S., Canada and some countries abroad.
Ferris’ DAGD program started in 2004 through collaborative efforts led by Don Green, vice president for Extended and International Operations, and Marty Lier, a faculty member. DAGD faculty use state-of-the-art technology, professional grade software and innovative teaching approaches to equip students with the tools necessary to create 3D art and entertaining games that will make students marketable for media industry jobs.
The Princeton Review’s 50-question survey asked schools to report on a range of topics from academic offerings and faculty credentials to graduates’ employment and professional achievements. Among criteria The Princeton Review weighed to make its selections: career services, curriculum, faculty, facilities, infrastructure and technology.
“It has long been our mission to help students find – and get into – the schools best for them. For students aspiring to become game designers, we highly recommend Ferris State University as one of the best institutions to study and to launch a career in this exciting field,” said Robert Franek, Princeton Review senior VP/publisher. “We also salute the faculty and staff at Ferris and the other schools on our 2014 lists for their exceptional academic and professional contributions to their students and to the industry of game design.”
The Princeton Review also reported a companion list of top 25 graduate schools to study video game design for 2014. It includes profiles of the schools with application information and links to the school sites.
The Princeton Review is not affiliated with Princeton University, and it is not a magazine.
The 2014 List of Top Undergraduate Schools to Study Game Design
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles, Ca.)
- University of Utah (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- DigiPen Institute of Technology (Redmond, Wash.)
- Drexel University (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Hampshire College (Amherst, Mass.)
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (Worcester, Mass.)
- Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester, N.Y.)
- The Art Institute of Vancouver (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, Ma.)
- New York University (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
- Shawnee State University (Portsmouth, Ohio)
- Michigan State University (East Lansing)
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.)
- Oklahoma Christian University (Edmond, Okla.)
- Savannah College of Art and Design (Savannah, Ga.)
- Champlain College (Burlington, Vt.)
- Becker College (Worcester, Mass.)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, N.Y.)
- Vancouver Film School (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)
- DePaul University (Chicago, Ill.)
- University of California, Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz, Ca.)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (Newark, NJ..)
- North Carolina State University (Raleigh, N.C.)
- New England Institute of Technology (East Greenwich, R.I.)
- Ferris State University - Princeton Review