Cable TV on Campus

Cable TV Services are available in all residence halls and university apartments. Residential Life and EAIS work cooperatively to provide these services. Residential Life is responsible for the channel line up, while EAIS provides maintenance support.

Requests for programming changes should be directed to the Housing Services at x3745.

    7 - NBC 8 - TBS 9 - CBS 10 - FOX 17
    11 - WCMU 12 - CW 13 - ABC 20 - TWC
    21 - WFSU 22 - CH 22 23.1 - NBC Wood 24.1 - ESPN
    24.2 - ESPN 2 25.1 - TNT 25.2 - GOLF 25.3 - FSD
    26.1 - FOX NEWS 26.2 - Fox Sports 1 26.3 - A&E 27.1 - CNN
    27.2 - USA 27.3 - DISC 28.1 - TRUTV 28.2 - BRAVO
    28.3 - History 29.1 - Animal Planet 29.2 - FOOD 29.3 - TLC
    30.1 - FX 31.1 - AMC 31.2 - SPIKE 31.3 - TRAVEL
    32.1 - WGN 32.2 - Cartoon Network 33.1 - MTV 33.2 ABCFAM
    33.3 - NICK 34.1 - Dis JR 34.2 - DIS 34.3 - OXYGEN
    35.1 - BET 35.2 - E! 35.3 - NGEO 36.1 - Starz
    36.2 - Encore 37.1 - Starz Cinema 37.2 - TCM 37.3 - VH1
    38.2 - MTVU 38.3 - GSN 39.1 - CMT 39.2 - BBC America
    39.3 - SYFY 40.1 - Lifetime 40.2 - Hallmark 41.1 - BTN
    42.1 - Comedy Central 42.2 - NBCSN 42.3 - TBS  
  • To place an advertisement on Cable 7, you must contact the Student Activities Desk in the University Center to obtain approval. Upon approval, they will provide the necessary information to place an advertisement.

  • The FSU Cable system has changed to a digital system which now includes more high-definition channels along with regular local programming. In order to take full advantage, please be sure to bring a digital TV with QAM tuner for use on campus. A QAM tuner enables your digital TV to receive digital cable channels directly without a set top box. If you are unsure if your TV has a QAM tuner, please check with your TV's manufacturer. You can also search the make and model of your TV online using a search engine such as or

    We have compiled the following information about television compatibility, and provided this list as an informal reference for newer devices. This information is not intended to be complete. FSU cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information. You should still verify the specifications when you make the purchase. 

    • Dynex - Only limited models have a QAM tuner
    • Insignia - Only limited models have a QAM tuner
    • LG - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
    • Samsung - All models since 2009 have a QAM tuner (fifth digit of model number must be B or higher)
    • Sony - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
    • Sylvania - Do not appear to have QAM tuners
    • Toshiba - Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
    • Visio - Recent models have a QAM tuner
    • Westinghouse - Some models require QAM tuner activation

    If you have an analog TV (tube TV, non-HD flat screen) you can continue to use it by purchasing a converter box. Some flat screen HD TVs do not have a QAM digital tuner. The iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box is recommended to view all Ferris offered cable channels; this can be located online. Similar boxes may be used as well. If you decide to purchase a converter box it must be a QAM TO ANALOG converter box.

    If you TV does not have a QAM tuner, you can also check one out at the TAC IT Solution Center , located in the University Center 108. You will need to bring what brand tv you have and the model number to verify it does not have the correct tuner. 

    When connecting to a new cable provider, televisions need to go through a process called a Channel Scan. This scan allows the television to receive the new channels. Please follow the steps below to successfully scan the on campus channels.

  • Note: This process may vary from TV to TV, so please check your owner's manual or manufacturer's website for detailed instructions.

    1. Press the "Menu" button on you Digital TV remote.

    2. Go to "Setup" or "Settings."

    3. Go to "Installation," or "System," or "Channels."

    4. If there is an option for Air/Cable please select Cable.

    5. Go to "Scan Channels," Program Channels," "Autoscan," or "Autotuning."

    6. Press "Select," or "Enter," or "OK" to start the scan. 

  • Make sure your TV is plugged in to a working electric outlet. Locate the TV outlet in your room and connect one end of the coaxial cable to it and the other end to the "CATV" or "VHF IN" on your television.

    Your digital television must have a QAM tuner (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) to work with the school's cable service. The QAM tuner allows your TV to receive high definition cable programming without a cable set top box. Unfortunately, some less expensive TVs come with a low quality QAM tuner that may not be able to pick up all the digital channels. You should verify the specifications when you purchase your TV.

    A NTSC (National Television System Committee) tuner is not compatible. This TV will require a digital-to-analog converter box to view television signals.

    An ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) tuner can receive digital signals but is not compatible with the school's cable system.

  • For assistance, call (231) 591-4822 to report a problem and select the appropriate menu option, or email us at [email protected]. A technician will arrange to fix the problem for you.