The convenience of not going into a store and lower prices has made shopping online very popular. You are able to quickly compare prices of an item between retailers as well as finding that hard to find item more easily.
With the increase of online shopping, one must remember that there are risks involved. Identity theft, malware infections, and online scams are a few of the risks of online shopping.
Below are some tips to consider while online shopping.
- Create a strong password for each online shopping account and use a different password for each account
- Checkout as a "guest" instead of creating an account to avoid saving payment information
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card
- Use a trusted computer or mobile device and do not use a public device
- Use a trusted internet source and do not use public Wi-Fi
The Center for Internet Security (CIS) offers these tips
The United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) offers these tips