The Ferris Foundation Board of Directors has conferred $27,725 in Exceptional Merit Grant Awards to help five faculty and staff members advance Ferris State University’s goals of engagement and learning.
"The Ferris Foundation Board of Directors is pleased to support the tremendous efforts of the Ferris faculty and staff,” said Carla Miller, executive director of the Foundation and associate vice president for Special and Leadership Gifts. “Such innovation and collaboration is to be applauded."
The following faculty and staff members will receive a portion of funding during the 2013-14 academic year for their proposals:
- Patrick English, Associate Professor, School of Automotive and Heavy Equipment, College of Engineering Technology, Advanced Battery Lab.
- Sarah Hinkely, Associate Professor and Chief of Vision Rehabilitation Services, Michigan College of Optometry, Enhancing Interprofessional Collaboration in Vision Rehabilitation for Student Education and Patient Care.
- Sarah Hinkely, Associate Professor and Chief of Vision Rehabilitation Services, Michigan College of Optometry, Students in Need of Eyecare: A Model for Academic Service Learning.
- Jennifer Johnson, Professor of Geography, Social Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, Assessing the Urban Heat Island of Big Rapids, MI.
- Lisa A. Salvati, Associate Professor of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, MTM Service Pilot
- Susan Wancour, Assistant Professor, Dental Hygiene, College of Health Professions, To obtain state-of-the-art intraoral camera for instruction of dental hygiene students in this technology.
- Mary Beth Zimmer, Associate Professor, Biological Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, Neurochemical and structural changes in the hippocampus after spinal cord injury.
The Gifts and Grants Committee develops policies and procedures, and recommends additional resources for Exceptional Merit Grants and Foundation for Excellence Scholarships.
The committee also monitors scholarship awards for compliance with donor specifications, recommends and monitors grant disbursement, and recommends student scholarship recipients for the Foundation Scholarship.
For more information or to make a gift to Ferris State University, please contact The Ferris Foundation at (231) 591-2365 or www.ferris.edu/foundation. Details about establishing scholarships or endowments may be obtained from the Advancement Office at (231) 591-3825.