Common Barriers Experienced at the University Level
A student who has a chronic or long term medical condition may experience one or more of the following barriers to learning and inclusion. Please note this list provides only a sample of common barriers.
- Significant levels of fatigue and/ or pain due to the impact of the medical condition and/or treatment
- Maintaining regular attendance may be difficult
- Difficulty in meeting deadlines due to the ongoing impact of the illness
- Difficulty maintaining a heavy subject load or meeting intensive attendance requirements (e.g. placements, field trips)
- Performance under timed assessment is often significantly compromised.
- Social isolation as students often are able to attend functions, meetings beyond scheduled class times due to fatigue.
- Issues with concentration and organization due to fatigue and/or pain.