If you or a friend are struggling with suicide, the Personal Counseling Center is
here to help, please reach out to us. If after hours, please contact one of the below
- Personal Counseling Center: (231) 591-5968 Hours Monday-Friday 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm
- Listening Ear: (989) 772-2918 Hours 2pm-2am
- National Suicide Prevention Line: (800) 273-TALK (8255)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: (800) 656-HOPE (4673)
- Community Mental Health: (231) 796-8525 Hours Monday-Friday 8am-5pm and by appointment
- Emergency Dispatch: 911
- Crisis Text Line: Text START to 741-741
- Ferris DPS: (231) 591-5000 (non-emergency)
- Spectrum Health Big Rapids Emergency Department (231) 796-8691
- Pine Rest Psychiatric Urgent Care Center: (616) 455-9200 Hours Monday-Friday 10am-8pm, Saturday & Sunday 10am-2pm
National 24-Hour Hotlines:
- 1.800. 273.TALK (1.800.273.8255) National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- All calls: main number
- Military Veterans: press 1
- Spanish speaking: press 2
- The Trevor Lifeline: 1.866.488.7386
- Trevor provides suicide prevention and crisis intervention to LGBTQ young people ages
13-24. TrevorChat is available 7 days a week 2:00 pm-8:00 pm CST.
- TrevorText is available Fridays 3:00 pm-7:00 pm CST. Text the word “Trevor” to 1.202.304.1200.
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1.800.273.8255 and Press 1
- The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends
with qualified, caring, Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential
toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Access chat HERE.
- You may also send a text to 838255.
- Vets4Warriors is for anyone currently serving in the military, veterans, and their families/caregivers.
It is a confidential and anonymous hotline available 24/7 to receive personalized
peer support by a veteran. Call 855.838.8255.
- The Boys Town National Hotline is an anonymous, free 24-hour helpline intended for pre-teens, teens, and young adults.
If you are having thoughts of harming yourself or you are being abused, please call 1.800.448.3000.
Counselors are ready for your call 24/7.
- SAMHSA’s National Helpline: also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service, this Helpline provides 24-hour
free and confidential treatment referral and information about mental and/or substance
use disorders, prevention, and recovery in English and Spanish. Call 1.800.662.HELP
- The Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network (RAINN) is a free, confidential, and secure crisis hotline available 24/7 for victims of
sexual assault or violence as well as their families and friends. Call 1.800-656.HOPE
Online Chat Options
- Lifeline Crisis Chat go to crisischat.org and click on “Chat Now”
Available through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, the chat is available
24 hours a day, 7 days a week within the United States and territories.
- TrevorChat go to thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now
Free, confidential, and secure online chat provides live help by trained volunteers.
Available 24/7/365. Designed to be used with a computer. If you prefer a smartphone,
call or use Trevor Text.
- National Sexual Assault Online Hotline go to hotline.rainn.org/online
Chat online with a trained staff member who can provide confidential crisis support.
- Vets4Warriors go to www.vets4warriors.com/ and click on Chat at the bottom of the page. For anyone currently serving in the
military, veterans, and their families/caregivers. It is confidential, anonymous,
and available 24/7 to receive personalized peer support by a veteran.
- Text START to 741-741 from anywhere in the USA, anytime, about any type of crisis.
The Crisis Text Line serves anyone, providing access to free, 24/7 support and information
via texting. A live, trained crisis counseling volunteer receives the text and responds
- Trevor Text: text START to 678678 anytime 24/7. Crisis intervention and suicide prevention
lifeline for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
- The Steve Fund – geared towards students of color who wish to connect with a culturally
trained crisis counselor- Text Steve to 741741.
- The JED Foundation has expert information and resources to help teens and young adults navigate life’s