Good afternoon Bulldogs,
I have a few timely reminders and important information to share with you today.
Asymptomatic COVID-19 Testing Clinics – Tomorrow & Next Week
With Thanksgiving approaching, many of you will be traveling. We would like to help you do so safely and responsibly by offering free COVID-19 testing clinics in Big Rapids prior to and after Thanksgiving. These clinics are free and open to any Ferris student, faculty or staff who are not having symptoms. You will need to complete the symptom checker online and receive a green Negative prior to being tested. If you are experiencing symptoms, please contact Birkam Health Center at (231) 591-2614 or your local healthcare provider for a referral for symptomatic testing.
Individuals who test positive will be called within 24 hours of testing. There will be no follow up for those who test negative. If you have any questions or concerns, please send an email to [email protected].
- Wednesday, 11/25/20, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Wink Arena: Please click COVID Testing Schedule for 11/25/20 to schedule a time.
- Monday, 11/30/20 between 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Wink Arena: Please click COVID Testing Schedule for 11/30/20 to schedule a time.
- Wednesday, 12/2/20 between 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Wink Arena: Please click COVID Testing Schedule for 12/2/20 to schedule a time.
- Friday, 12/4/20 between 10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Wink Arena: Please click COVID Testing Schedule for 12/4/20 to schedule a time.
Thank you for your continued commitment to keeping our communities safe.
Racial Climate Town Hall Tonight
Yesterday, President Eisler addressed the University community concerning the alleged racist, anti-Semitic and homophobic slurs made on social media by a professor in the College of Arts, Sciences and Education. President Eisler’s statement is available here. Dr. David Pilgrim, vice president of Diversity, Inclusion and Strategic Initiatives, shared an invitation to all students, faculty and staff to discuss the current racial climate on campus. If you are able, please join this Zoom town hall at 6 p.m.
This incident and others like it significantly impact the psychological and physiological health of our students; especially our students of color, Jewish, LGBTQ+ students, and other underrepresented students within our Ferris community. I encourage everyone to participate tonight to receive support; to share their experiences; to learn how to support our Black, Jewish, and LGBTQ+ students; and to make clear our commitment to being a community that is true to our values of diversity and inclusion and which stands united against the violence of hate, bias, and discrimination, and honors the dignity of every member of our community.
Incidents of bias, harassment, and discrimination by faculty and staff should be reported to the Office of Equal Opportunity and those committed by students should be reported to the Office of Student Conduct. If you are unable to attend tonight and could use help finding support and/or reporting an incident or concern, please email [email protected] for assistance.
Rental Textbooks Due by Dec. 18
There are two options to return your rental textbooks at the end of term:
- Return textbook rentals in-person to the University bookstore; or
- Return rental textbooks by mail. To purchase and print your rental return UPS label, please visit ferris.bncollege.com. You will need your Order ID and email address. On the Rental Return form, enter the address where you are shipping from. Print the UPS Shipping Label and affix it to the box. Drop your box at any UPS location or pickup box.
Books not received within five days of the return due date will result in a charge of 75% of the new book price, plus a 7.5% non-return processing fee.
The Big Rapids Campus remains open after Thanksgiving through December 23
The Big Rapids campus plans to stay open after Thanksgiving through December 23. However, hours may be adjusted due to reduced staffing and/or students on campus. Please continue to consult the University’s COVID-19 website or contact specific departments for more details. The following are some of the facilities and departments that will remain open for in-person services:
- Residence halls and apartments
- Select dining facilities
- Student Recreation Center
- University Center
- Birkam Health Center
- The FLITE Library
- FLITE remains open weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. after Thanksgiving through Dec. 11, with adjusted occupancy at 30% of normal capacity in compliance with the new emergency order. Remote research and reference support is also available during this timeframe from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
- After December 11, FLITE will be open for remote support each weekday
It's hard to believe that we are on the eve of Thanksgiving break. The semester has flown by. Thanks to the disciplined efforts of each of you, we exceeded the predictions of many within our communities, successfully keeping our campus locations safe and the risk of COVID-19 low. I wish you a relaxing and happy Thanksgiving where you can find a break from this unique and demanding semester. Please take some time to recharge and reenergize for a strong finish to the semester.
Thank you for choosing Ferris State and for your contributions to our community.
Joy N. Pulsifer
Dean of Student Life