August 5, 2020
We are excited to welcome your student to Ferris State University! Even though this fall semester will have a different look and feel, our faculty and staff are ready to provide an exceptional educational experience for your student. As we continue preparing for the fall semester, please know the health and safety of your student is of utmost importance.
Please take a few moments to read through the information below that highlights how we are preparing for this fall semester.
The Fall 2020 semester will begin on Monday, August 31. Instruction will pivot to remote delivery where possible beginning Monday, November 30, after Thanksgiving recess for the remainder of the semester. This does not shorten the semester. The University will remain open and operations will continue, with housing and dining services remaining available for students through the end of the semester. Some courses may not be able to sacrifice face-to-face classroom time due to program and accreditation requirements. Deans and program faculty will make decisions about courses that may fall into this category and may not be able to move to remote instruction.
To de-densify campus, courses will be offered:
- Face-to-face (F2F): Defined as traditional in-person lectures or labs. Some classes may deliver portions of the content by alternative methods.
- HyFlex: Delivery is flexible, taking place at specific days and times including face-to-face and remote as arranged between the instructor and the student.
- Online: Defined as fully remote or online instruction. Depending on the class instructor, online classes may be synchronous, in which they meet on specific days/times, or asynchronous, where class work is pursued with the instructor without meeting on a specific day/time.
Classrooms have been reconfigured to adhere to social distancing guidelines, and some
classes have been moved to larger rooms to accommodate class size.
Cleaning, Sanitization and Ventilation
Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols are in place throughout campus in accordance
with CDC guidelines to ensure all horizontal and vertical surfaces, along with critical
touch points, will be addressed on a daily basis.
We are in the process of applying MicrobeCare, a solution that kills 99.99% of microbes, prevents mutation and minimizes the spread of viruses, bacteria, fungi, algae and yeast, to surfaces in buildings and residence halls throughout campus. MicrobeCare is safe and has recorded proven results in highly sensitive healthcare environments. This five-minute video provides information on the product and its benefits.
In addition, our Physical Plant has evaluated the HVAC system capabilities for buildings across campus and is implementing strategies to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. More information on this can be found under “Enhanced Cleaning and Sanitization/Air Quality” on the Coronavirus Campus Information and Updates webpage.
To keep our Bulldog community safe, we are requiring all students, faculty, staff and visitors to:
- Wear a face covering over the nose and mouth inside all University buildings and in any situation where social distancing is difficult. The University is providing one branded, washable face mask and gaiter to students prior to the start of the school year. Students needing an exception or accommodation should contact Educational Counseling and Disabilities Services.
We are also asking all students to:
- Complete a daily COVID-19 Symptom Checker
- Stay home if they are sick
- Wash their hands frequently
- Practice social distancing
Communication to Students and Parents
- The most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 and University planning will be shared on our Coronavirus Campus Information and Updates webpage.
- You can view the most recent student-related FAQs
- Notifications will be sent to you highlighting the information shared with your student and any specific information designed to help you support their success.
Help Your Student Have a Successful and Safe Fall Semester
We are working hard to provide your student a safe and engaging fall semester. Much education will take place when your student arrives and throughout the semester. Please help us reinforce the importance of:
- Completing the University’s daily COVID-19 Symptom Checker
- Staying home if they are sick
- Wearing a face covering over the nose and mouth inside all University buildings and in any situation where social distancing is difficult.
- Washing their hands frequently
- Practicing social distancing
Additionally, there are many myths surrounding COVID-19. Help us to debunk these myths so your student can make decisions based on what is currently known. A good source of information is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Finally, please encourage your student to protect themselves and their fellow Bulldogs.
Thank you for your support as we navigate through these unprecedented times. By working together, the steps we are taking now will enable us to create a safe and productive educational environment for your student. We are #FerrisForwardTogether.
Vice President for Student Affairs