May 19, 2021
Message to Students from Joy Pulsifer, Dean of Student Life
Good Afternoon Bulldogs,
I hope you have been able to get outside and enjoy some of the extraordinary weather we have been having for early May. I am writing today to share a number of updates with you.
The summer semester began yesterday. For those on campus, we will continue to follow our established health and safety protocols as we encourage individuals to be fully vaccinated:
- Complete the required COVID-19 Symptom Checker daily and stay at your residence if you are ill
- Wear a face covering over your nose and mouth when inside University buildings, outside on-campus at an organized event, and/or when you are not able to maintain social distancing
- If you receive a positive COVID-19 test result, please report your status via the secure link on the COVID-19 website
- Practice social distancing and good hand washing/sanitizing
- Follow all directives from the Health Department related to contact tracing, quarantine, and/or isolation
The changes made last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services for those who are fully vaccinated is welcome news; however, it does not change the face covering directives for our campuses at this time. All faculty, staff, students and visitors to campus are to continue to wear face coverings over their nose and mouth inside all University buildings, outside when at an organized gathering, and in any situation on campus where social distancing is difficult. In essence, everyone should continue following all of the health and safety protocols in place on-campus this spring.
The University held several first and second dose Pfizer vaccine clinics at Wink Arena and Birkam Health Center this spring. Together, the Birkam Health Center staff, College of Pharmacy staff and students, School of Nursing staff and students, and numerous volunteers fully vaccinated 1,173 Ferris faculty, staff, students and members of Ferris households.
Birkam Health Center continues to offer vaccine to Ferris students, faculty, staff and anyone living with a Ferris-associated person. If you have not been vaccinated and would like to be, please contact Birkam Health Center at (231) 591-2614, Option 2, to set up an appointment. We offer both the Pfizer (2 step process) and Johnson & Johnson (1 step process) vaccine. Please notify the clinic when scheduling your appointment which vaccine you would prefer.
Anyone who was scheduled to receive their second dose of vaccine but may have missed their appointment, please contact Birkam Health Center at (231) 591-2614, Option 2, to be setup to receive your 2nd dose. If you need your 2nd dose, but cannot return to campus, please contact your local health department to find where you can receive the 2nd dose of Pfizer vaccine. The window to get your 2nd dose is timely, so please do not delay.
COVID-19 Asymptomatic Testing
COVID-19 asymptomatic testing clinics will continue to be offered over the summer on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Pharmacy Care Clinic, located on the first floor of the Pharmacy Building. Please visit the COVID-19 Testing Schedule to make an appointment.
This testing clinic is open to any Ferris student, faculty or staff who are not experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. You will need to complete the symptom checker online and receive a green negative status prior to being tested. If you are experiencing symptoms, please contact Birkam Health Center or your local healthcare provider. Individuals who test positive will be called by the end of the day on which the test was administered. Those who test negative will receive an email from Birkam Health Center via medicat.com.
Financial Aid -- Special Consideration
The Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid wants to make sure that students are aware of a process called "Special Consideration.” This process allows students and their families who have suffered a reduction of income since 2019 due to job loss, COVID-19, divorce of parents, death of a parent or stepparent, or other similar circumstances to submit a request for re-evaluation of their federal aid eligibility. If you or your parent's and/or spouse have suffered a significant income reduction since 2019, please visit our Special Consideration webpage for more information.
Student Recreation Center
The Student Recreation Center (SRC) would like to share two important updates focused on elevating your well-being:
The SRC will be open throughout the summer Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. – 8 p.m., and Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Reservations are no longer required to work out within the facility, and students are allowed to use any open area during their workout. Face coverings are still required inside the SRC at this time.
Power Yoga will be held every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
for 45 minutes. Bring (if you have them): yoga mat, water bottle, block, small towel.
Yoga mats and blocks are available on a limited basis and must be sanitized after
For more information, follow @ferrisurec on Instagram!
Please continue to check your email for Dean of Student Life (DOSL) updates and visit the University’s COVID-19 webpage for updated information. Please direct any unanswered questions to the appropriate contact listed below:
- For academic questions, contact your advisor or your academic dean's office:
- College of Arts, Sciences and Education: 231-591-3660
- College of Business: 231-591-2420
- College of Engineering Technology: 231-591-2890
- College of Health Professions: 231-591-2270
- College of Pharmacy: 231-591-2254
- College of Optometry: 231-591-3706
- Retention & Student Success: 231-591-2360
- Kendall College of Art and Design: 616-259-1203
- Statewide location email contact info is located at: www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/statewide/locations.htm
- If you are unable to reach your advisor, please contact your College (numbers above) or [email protected]
- For housing & dining questions, please email [email protected]
- For questions about your student bill, please contact Student Financial Services at one of the contact options listed here www.ferris.edu/htmls/administration/businessoffice
- For questions about your financial aid, please email Financial Aid at [email protected]
- For questions related to a reasonable accommodation, please email Educational Counseling & Disabilities Services at [email protected] or for students at Kendall College of Art & Design, please email Marie Yowtz at [email protected]
Take good care. And let’s all move #FerrisForwardTogether.