Sarnia Optometric Clinic- Canada
Dr. Gordon Warren and Associates
258 Wellington St.
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada N7T 1G8
Student Evaluation of Site
Type of Practice:
Private Practice- full scope including dispensary
Mission: Provide the best "real-life" optometric practice experience with many
full and partial exams per day.
Please contact Dr. Warren 6 - 8 weeks prior to the first day of the rotation to verify dates, times, directions, parking, required health tests, and any other instructions.
If you have any questions, please contact (231) 591-3845 Dr. David Durkee, Director of Externships - [email protected] .
Gordon Warren, O.D.
E-mail: [email protected]
Clinical Teaching Faculty:
Dr. Gordon Warren
Other Clinical Mentors:
Optometric Technicians/Assistants- 4
Office Staff Personnel - 1
Medical Records Personnel - 1
Monday - Tuesday - Thursday: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
Wednesday and Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Hours of direct patient care for extern per day:
8 (40 per week)
Number of patients seen by extern per day:
8 - 10
- Full Scope primary care externship, including pedicatrics.
- First aid provision
- Work in close conjunction with Opthomologist
- Continuing education with local opthomologist
- BW vision assessment
- Therapy review with CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind)
Scope of the Externship: Primary Care Full Scope- contact lenses, disease management.
Minor amount of low vision
Housing is provided to the extern by the facility at no cost, right next to the main clinic.
Sarnia, Canada - 75,000 population
The climate is the same as Ferris State University; waterfront communities, local theatres.
- Cooperation with Low Vision Clinic
- Close interaction with local ophthalmic surgeons, GP's and pharmacists.
- Reference library available for student use
- Internet access available