Office: Bishop Hall 409
Phone: (231) 591-5377
E-mail Address: [email protected]
- B.S., Biological Sciences, St. Michael's College, Colchester VT.
- M.Ed., Curriculum and Instruction, University of Vermont,
- Ph.D., Science Education, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
The Social Critical Mass Applied to Women in Physics
- Ball State University: Assistant Professor
- University of Virginia: Research Assistant
- Bellows Free Academy: Teacher
- School-University Partnerships
- STEM education
- Teacher Preparation
- Siebert, C., Wyss, V., Jackson, T. (2014) Sharing PDS Teacher Expertise
with Pre-Service Teachers Through Videos. In, Polly, D., Heafner, T. Chapman, M. and Spooner, M. (eds) Professional Development Schools and Transformative Partnerships. IGI Global.
- Wyss, V., Freedman, D. and Siebert, C. (2014) "The Development of A Discussion Rubric for
Online Courses: Standardizing Expectations of
Graduate Students in Online Scholarly Discussions". TechTrends,
58(2) p. 99 – 107.
- Wyss, V., Tai, R, Dolenc, N., and Kong, X. (2013) "Time on text and science achievement for high school biology students". American Secondary Education Journal 41(2).
- Wyss, V., and Watson, S. (2013) "Developing videos to better inform middle school students about STEM career options". TechTrends, 57(2) p. 54-62.
- Wyss, V., Huelskamp, D., and Siebert, C. (2012) "Increasing middle school student interest in STEM careers with videos of scientists." International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 7(4) p 501-522.
- Wyss, V., Tai, R. (2012) Service learning in high school biology and college major choice College Student Journal, 46(2) p.459-456.
- Wyss, V., Siebert, C., Dowling, K. (2012) Structuring Effective Practicum Experiences for Pre-service Teachers. Education, 132(3) p.600-606.
- Wyss, V., Tai, R. (2010) Conflicts between graduate study in science and
family life. College Student Journal, 44(2) p.475-491.
- Wyss V. (April, 2015) Connecting pre-service teachers with active teachers
to "get at" professionalism. National Association of Professional
Development Schools, Atlanta.
- Wyss, V. (2014) "Getting Pre-Service Elementary Teachers to Buy in to
Problem Based Learning for Math and Science Through Modeling". School Science and Mathematics Association, Jacksonville, FL.
- Siebert, C. and Wyss, V. (March 2014) Jackpot or Bust? Implementing a
Co-Teaching Model within Secondary Professional Development Schools. National Association of Professional Development Schools, Las Vegas.
- Wyss, V. and Siebert, C. (February 2013) Practicing what we preach: helping pre-service teachers understand how to implement current practice through video interviews with practicing teachers. Proposal for presentation at National Association of Professional Development Schools, New Orleans, LA.
- Wyss, V., Jones, J., & Polush, E. (April 2013) Middle school girls' preferences in career options: is helping others a main motivation in STEM career choices? Proposal for presentation at National Association of Research in Science Teaching, Puerto Rico
- Siebert, C., Wyss, V., and Lumbis, B. (March 2012) Teachers as Teacher Educators: Supporting the critical role clinical faculty assume in preparing preservice teachers for contemporary classrooms. Presented at National Association of Professional Development Schools, Las Vegas
- Siebert, C., Wyss, V., and Dowling, K. (March 2012) Rolling the dice for students with exceptionalitites: Ensuring the success of all students through professional development school partnerships. Presented at National Association of Professional Development Schools, Las Vegas
- Siebert, C., Dowling, K., and Wyss, V. (March 2011) When times are troubled: sustaining preservice teacher education initiatives with limited resources. Presented at National Association of Professional Development Schools, New Orleans
- Wyss, V., Siebert C., and Dowling, K. (March 2011) From the trenches: teachers' perspectives on scheduling pre-service teacher practica. Paper Presented at National Association of Professional Development Schools, New Orleans
- Heulskamp, D. and Wyss, V. (January 2011) The impact of Podcasts of Scientists on Student Interest in STEM Careers.