Vice President for University Advancement and Marketing
Shelly Pearcy leads a staff of more than 40 within University Advancement and Marketing. She oversees Advancement and its functions of annual giving, advancement services, athletics giving, corporate and foundation relations, major giving, planned giving, research and prospect management, special and leadership gifts, and stewardship and donor relations; Alumni Relations; and Marketing and Communications and its units of marketing client services, news services/social media, photographic services/multi-media, and Web services. Pearcy also works closely with The Ferris Foundation and the Alumni Association Boards and their executive directors and volunteers to expand and strengthen volunteer engagement and advance key fundraising initiatives.
Pearcy had led a significant reorganization of the Advancement operation that included centralizing college-based advancement officers and creating stand-alone annual giving and stewardship and donor relations units; developing policies and procedures for prioritizing fundraising initiatives and improving the coordination of fundraising across the university; reinstituting a donor recognition program; establishing an on-campus student call center for annual giving; and directing an award-winning marketing brand campaign for the university.
“Our ability to secure more scholarship support for our students, in particular, is more critical than ever for us to continue to attract, retain and graduate our students, who are leaving Ferris with significant debt," Pearcy said. "It is an ideal time for the university community to become united and work ambitiously toward generating greater resources and opportunities for our students and academic programs.”
Pearcy came to Ferris in 2002 as associate vice president for University Advancement and Marketing and has more than 25 years of experience in higher education. She holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Eastern Illinois University in journalism/public relations and college student personnel, respectively. She most recently completed a comprehensive leadership development program through the Center for Creative Leadership.
- M.S. Education, Eastern Illinois University, 1998
- B.A. Journalism, Eastern Illinois University, 1984
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
- Leadership Council
- Strategic Planning and Resource Group
- Emergency Response Team
- Ferris Magazine Editorial Team
- Social Media Team
- University Advancement and Marketing/Admissions Communications Group
- Past President, Ferris Professional Women
- Presidents Club Giving Society
- Presidents Council, State Universities of Michigan, Public Information and Institutional Advancement Committee
- Ferris/Big Rapids Town Gown Committee
- University Liaison, Downtown Business Association