The success of a work group depends on its climate. In order to achieve desired results, a working group must foster a climate in which diverse perspectives are included and welcomed. Participants in this workshop series will empower themselves to improve the climate for inclusivity in their work group by learning to assess that climate and prepare an action plan for its enhancement. The assessment of a climate for inclusivity and action plans for improvement will be based on a foundation of awareness of key inclusivity principles that we will build over the course of the series.
Participants must register to participate in the entire series. Missing up to two sessions is permitted, but they must be completed when sessions are offered again in the future to receive the digital badge associated with this series.
Facilitator: Victor Piercey, Director of General Education
Location: Alumni building, room 121
Each session 1.5 hours and starts at 2:30 pm unless otherwise indicated.
Participants who complete the series of workshops will:
- Assess the climate for inclusion in their work group.
- Create a plan to improve the climate for inclusion in their work group.
- Demonstrate reflective habits toward inclusivity.
Session 1: Defining Diversity and Inclusion
September 11, 2019
- Compare and contrast diversity and inclusion.
- Explain why diversity and inclusion are important.
Session 2: Parameters of Workplace Climate
September 25, 2019
- Describe the sources of inclusion in a work group.
- Assess stereotypes and prejudices that influence behavior in work groups.
Session 3: Examining Unconscious Bias
October 9, 2019 (two hours, 2:00 to 4:00 pm)
- Explain the systemic nature of unconscious bias.
- Examine strategies to undermine unconscious bias.
Session 4: Interrogating Privilege
October 23, 2019
- Identify multiple dimensions of identity.
- Identify the privileges of dominant groups across identities.
Session 5: Factors Influencing Climates for Inclusivity
November 6, 2019
- Identify factors that support an inclusive climate.
- Identify factors that inhibit an inclusive climate.
Session 6: Assessing Climate Inclusivity
November 20, 2019
- Describe the four behaviors for shaping inclusive climates.
- Assess the climate for inclusivity in your work group.
Session 7: Preparing an Action Plan
December 4, 2019
- Create a plan to improve the climate for inclusivity in your work group.
Register to participate in the entire series by registering for the first session on September 11, 2019, on the Staff Center Events site (Google Chrome works best). Email [email protected] if you have trouble registering for the workshop series.
Anyone with a disability who needs special accommodations to attend this event should call 231-591-2112 at least 72 hours in advance.