This award is conferred upon a faculty or staff member who demonstrates a significant commitment to enhancing diversity and harmonious relationships at Ferris State University. Recipients will receive a trophy and a monetary award of $1,500.
Ferris faculty and staff members are eligible for this award. Any member of the Diversity Enhancement Award Selection Committee who is nominated for the award will remove him/herself from the committee for the year in which he/she is nominated. Past recipients of this award are eligible only upon the expiration of the fifth year after their award.
Criteria for Evaluation
Nominees will be evaluated based on the significance of his/her contributions in these areas:
- A commitment to the spirit of diversity demonstrated through his/her teaching/learning, daily work or service activities, such as efforts to develop programs or curricula that promote diversity understanding.
- Leadership through positive interaction between persons of different backgrounds through initiatives that promote acceptance and foster mutual respect and result in a more diverse and inclusive campus.
- Special efforts to recruit, retain and/or mentor members of the university community from diverse backgrounds, i.e. students, faculty, staff.
For further information, please see the Diversity Enhancement Award Rubric.
Please nominate your colleagues for this award by electronically submitting the following:
- Nominee's name, Ferris department and college, and phone number
- Letter of nomination that specifically addresses the criteria for evaluation
All nominations must be sent to [email protected]. Please include the subject line “Diversity Enhancement Award Nomination” in your email. You will receive a confirmation email indicating that the nomination was received. Please submit a separate nomination for each nominee.
Nominees will be contacted to submit the following:
- A minimum of a one-page paper, not to exceed three pages, describing the nominee’s diversity/inclusion philosophy, methods, challenges, and accomplishments deemed noteworthy (required);
- Current vita or resume, including a section or separate attachment for the nominee’s diversity enhancement activities dated by academic year (required);
- Up to three additional letters of recognition, support, or recommendation from students, faculty, administrators, or organizations pertaining to the nominee’s diversity accomplishments, as appropriate, will be accepted but they are not required (optional).
Nomination submissions were due by 5 PM (EDT) on Friday, February 7, 2020.